"Windy-ful Copenhagen" Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen by Sjalen

Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,906 reviews and 9,834 photos

I feel priviliged to work here! All my life I have overlooked it as the place where I first changed trains on holidays and then, as an expat Swede, often changed trains or planes between Sweden and Brussels and maybe had a quick look around for a day to do some shopping or go to the Tivoli amusement park. In the last few years, I have finally realised that I want to explore it much more! It has a great waterside location with canals and a harbour which has also recently made me discover how photogenic it is - loads to shoot and often in good weather.

Copenhagen is more expensive to live in than Sweden (I bet you didn't think that?) and eating out can cost a fortune if you're not careful but to solve that, people have opened all sorts of budget establishments. The shopping is great and there is lots to see whatever your interest. Just remember to bring a windproof jacket.
I'm really happy that I was offered a job here from November 2002 and commuting all the way from Sweden every day (since the housing situation is better there and it is closer to my family) is alright once I exit the metro in the morning and am met by the seagulls and bobbing masts of Nyhavn...That last sentence may give you the explanation as to why many of my tips (especially for lunch deals!) are in that area...

• Pros:relaxed, fun, waterfront beauty
  • Cons:expensive, impossible housing situation
  • In a nutshell:Expensive but relaxed
  • Last visit to Copenhagen: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2010

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Great pages! What hotel would you recommend in Copenhagen? Thanks!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
      Mar 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Depends a bit on your budget but maybe you've already booked one now?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 9:25 PM

great page!

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Great page with lots of good tips. I've saved many of them for my trip planner guide. Thanks a lot for the helpful info.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Really nice tips.Hopefull of a visit here next year.

• Jan 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM

My husband bought me some beautiful Greenland sealskin gloves in Copenhagen at the 2006 Rotary conference. They were stolen recently. Can anyone in Copenhagen tell me where I could purchase such gloves online? Bonnie Buxton Toronto, Canada

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 3:19 AM

Not moving from lovely Sweden no :) it's just I've visited DK (Aalborg especially) that I consider myself a Dane in training :D

• pginer's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 12:40 PM

I am wondering about going there ... many thanks for your suggestions!

• poons's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Nice new travelogue Charlotta! I totally agree. Next time we are somewhere close to each other we should sneak off and have a little VT meet... just me and you? ;o)))

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 1:40 AM

Great stuff, Sjalen. Looking forward to my visit later this month.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Thanks so much for the great information and tips you have on Copenhagen. It's very helpful. I've come back several times to check on things to do when we're there in September. Marcia

Sjalen Works Here!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Copenhagen

Have you been to Copenhagen?

Latest Activity in Copenhagen