"Historic harbour" Top 5 Page for this destination Køge by Sjalen
Køge Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 87 photos
People making daytrips from Copenhagen often end up in World Heritage Roskilde and Helsingoer. Few make it to Koege, despite it being less than an hour away by commuter train. Their loss I say! This is a real gem of a small town. There is no impressive cathedral nor castle, but it is just so rewarding to stroll through streets full of the yellow half-timbered houses so typical of Denmark.
These days, the town is known for being where the Bornholm ferries depart from "mainland Denmark" to the isolated island of Bornholm, but Koege has a more dramatic shipping history as the naval Battle of Koege Bay, Denmark's proudest naval moment, took place in its waters in 1677. Today, the town is a lot more peaceful and includes several things to do for children, such as the 7 Himmel culture exhibition, and a toy museum. None of which I had time to see during my Saturday afternoon visit off season, but I hope to one day. The town is getting more and more popular with Copenhagen families, looking for affordable housing in a pleasant environment and pleasant it is!
- Pros:pretty, calm, easy to reach
- Cons:quiet if you need action
- In a nutshell:Denmark just outside Copenhagen
This is oldest dated half timbered house in Denmark and would you believe it, it is used as a childrens library since... more travel advice
The River Køge is not broad but still a lovely stretch of water, and in fact, the lowest stretch of it was used as the... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Køge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An old town on the edge of the big city"
- "Historic harbour"
- "A small jem near Copenhagen"
- "WELCOME TO MY KOEGE PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Køge
- Hotels in Køge
- Transportation in Køge
- Restaurants in Køge
- Shopping in Køge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Køge
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Køge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Køge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues