"My heart has been stolen" Top 5 Page for this destination Agrigento by Sjalen
Agrigento Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 298 photos
Agrigento - famous for its Temple Valley - has just become one of my love affairs in life. Funnily enough not for the temple valley which is absolutely mind blowing. No, it is the town itself which first captured my parents' hearts and now that we went there with my father, it was my turn.
This must surely be the most underestimated destination on Sicily. That is, people come to see the Temple valley in droves but then they leave without seeing the town itself up on the hill. Guide books point out that it is a centre for cocaine smuggling and so on and maybe that's why. I read it too, but decided to trust my parents and stay a couple of nights and I am so glad I did! It's possible, even probable, that the smuggling takes place but as a tourist, you see nothing of it. You might pay into someone's pocket by eating in his restaurant, but then again you can do the same in Brussels' maffia owned bistros which tourists flock to. The main maffia problem here instead seem to be illegal property and as I understand it, this is especially true for the temple valley area. Houses are built through people's connection to the local authorities regardless if the constructions are safe or not, or if they infringe on a cultural heritage.
As a visitor though, focus on a town which opens its soul to you in all other aspects. Undestroyed by the tourists further north and east on Sicily. A city where locals come to talk to you on park benches without being intrusive, and where the many immigrants, here where you are so close to Africa, are everywhere but seemingly not that much of a problem compared to other immigrant cities. Already the Greeks in their huge city down by the temples welcomed strangers so it's a tradition here.
I wish it had a wishing well where I could have thrown money...but I am fairly sure I'll return nevertheless.
- Pros:few tourists apart from in the valley, wonderful food, sunny
- Cons:takes time to get to (probably a pro for me)
- In a nutshell:The real Sicily where all cultures meet
Well...the wonderful valley of the temples is what people come to Agrigento for (and miss the Sicilian city). When we... more travel advice
- See All Vulcanelli di Macalube
- Go swimming!
- See All Agrigento Cathedral
- Basic rooms in great location
Sjalen's Related Pages
Agrigento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Agrigento -little Marocco with lots of Italy"
- "Agrigento: The Ups and Downs"
- "My heart has been stolen"
- "september rain"
- "One of those hidden treasures of the World"
- "IL DUOMO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agrigento
- Hotels in Agrigento
- Transportation in Agrigento
- Nightlife in Agrigento
- Restaurants in Agrigento
- Shopping in Agrigento
- Warnings and Dangers in Agrigento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agrigento
- 16 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Agrigento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agrigento
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues