"My heart has been stolen" Top 5 Page for this destination Agrigento by Sjalen

Agrigento Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 296 photos

Agrigento - famous for its Temple Valley - has just become one of my love affairs in life. Funnily enough not for the temple valley which is absolutely mind blowing. No, it is the town itself which first captured my parents' hearts and now that we went there with my father, it was my turn.

This must surely be the most underestimated destination on Sicily. That is, people come to see the Temple valley in droves but then they leave without seeing the town itself up on the hill. Guide books point out that it is a centre for cocaine smuggling and so on and maybe that's why. I read it too, but decided to trust my parents and stay a couple of nights and I am so glad I did! It's possible, even probable, that the smuggling takes place but as a tourist, you see nothing of it. You might pay into someone's pocket by eating in his restaurant, but then again you can do the same in Brussels' maffia owned bistros which tourists flock to. The main maffia problem here instead seem to be illegal property and as I understand it, this is especially true for the temple valley area. Houses are built through people's connection to the local authorities regardless if the constructions are safe or not, or if they infringe on a cultural heritage.

As a visitor though, focus on a town which opens its soul to you in all other aspects. Undestroyed by the tourists further north and east on Sicily. A city where locals come to talk to you on park benches without being intrusive, and where the many immigrants, here where you are so close to Africa, are everywhere but seemingly not that much of a problem compared to other immigrant cities. Already the Greeks in their huge city down by the temples welcomed strangers so it's a tradition here.

I wish it had a wishing well where I could have thrown money...but I am fairly sure I'll return nevertheless.

• Pros:few tourists apart from in the valley, wonderful food, sunny
  • Cons:takes time to get to (probably a pro for me)
  • In a nutshell:The real Sicily where all cultures meet
  • Last visit to Agrigento: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2004

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Hi nice to read you loved it here so much - am trying to find info and make decisions re when to go for the almond fest. only have one week in Feb to choose from!

• Broccoli5's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Vulcanelli di Macalube is about 2 miles from Aragona and no public transport goes there. Although the photos make the 'bubbles' look big, they are in fact quite small!

• dorset's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2006 at 9:21 PM

merry christmas from sicily

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 8:02 AM

I think as far as 'Vulcanelli di Macalube' goes, I would vote for at night when it was on fire. sounds cool!

• vysnaite's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 2:39 PM

Great! I'm comming back to Agrigento in July. Really one of the best pages about the city =)

• mel_bee's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 2:40 AM

I love Agrigento too! Your pages reminded me of my Sicilian holiday :-) It was hot and thirsty hillclimbing work being a tourist there!!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Agrigento

Have you been to Agrigento?

Latest Activity in Agrigento