"Something for everyone" Siracusa by Sjalen
Siracusa Travel Guide: 269 reviews and 929 photos
I was a bit worried on the train when we were getting close to Siracusa and the oil- and chemical town of Augusta reared its ugly (yet strangely fascinating) head with mile after mile of burning chimneys and shipwrecks in the bay, but my father reassured me that the winds and currents here did not make themselves shown in Siracusa further south.
Siracusa, somewhere a Swede just had to go when on Sicily as this is where St Lucia came from and we celebrate her in December. But that was of course not the main reason I went. It just happens to be one of the most historic cities in all Italy with two different amphitheatres in the same area for a start. It is also the birthplace of Archimedes, something you realise by all the companies in the city (including the local electricity one) using his name.
For me, there was also the lure of the mysterious Ear of Dionysos in the same area, as well as the romantic look of Ortygia, the island downtown. None of all this disappointed me but Ortygia charmed me most of all. Especially as I later saw other Greek monuments which impressed me more. Ortygia is also the place where we had one of the best meals during the entire holiday.
- Pros:history, romantic seaside atmosphere
- Cons:traffic fumes due to congestion
- In a nutshell:A honeymoon destination
The single most important activity? Please don't make me choose in Siracusa! OK, it would have to be charming Ortygia... more travel advice
The "latomies" and caves belong to the most famous sights in the Neapolis Archaeological Park along with the theatres.... more travel advice
Written Sep 19, 2005
Written Jun 1, 2004
Neapolis Archaeological Park
Sjalen's Related Pages
Siracusa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Siracusa UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Sunny Syracuse"
- "Siracusa: a Sicilian gem"
- "... a staircase to heaven"
- "Something for everyone"
- "There is plenty to see and eat in Siracusa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siracusa
- Hotels in Siracusa
- Transportation in Siracusa
- Nightlife in Siracusa
- Restaurants in Siracusa
- Shopping in Siracusa
- Warnings and Dangers in Siracusa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siracusa
- 10 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Siracusa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siracusa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues