"Something for everyone" Siracusa by Sjalen

Siracusa Travel Guide: 263 reviews and 907 photos

I was a bit worried on the train when we were getting close to Siracusa and the oil- and chemical town of Augusta reared its ugly (yet strangely fascinating) head with mile after mile of burning chimneys and shipwrecks in the bay, but my father reassured me that the winds and currents here did not make themselves shown in Siracusa further south.

Siracusa, somewhere a Swede just had to go when on Sicily as this is where St Lucia came from and we celebrate her in December. But that was of course not the main reason I went. It just happens to be one of the most historic cities in all Italy with two different amphitheatres in the same area for a start. It is also the birthplace of Archimedes, something you realise by all the companies in the city (including the local electricity one) using his name.

For me, there was also the lure of the mysterious Ear of Dionysos in the same area, as well as the romantic look of Ortygia, the island downtown. None of all this disappointed me but Ortygia charmed me most of all. Especially as I later saw other Greek monuments which impressed me more. Ortygia is also the place where we had one of the best meals during the entire holiday.

• Pros:history, romantic seaside atmosphere
  • Cons:traffic fumes due to congestion
  • In a nutshell:A honeymoon destination
  • Last visit to Siracusa: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2004

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Another nice little page thanks Ms Number 100!

• Jun 5, 2005 at 2:21 AM

Very nice page Charlotta! Great photos and excellent, well-written tips! Cheers.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 2:21 AM

Unfortuntely, this part of the world will be ignored by so many. Consider yourself fortunate that you aren't one of them.

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Siracusa

Have you been to Siracusa?

Latest Activity in Siracusa