"A most underrated town" Wolfenbüttel by Sjalen
Wolfenbüttel Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 187 photos
Wolfenbüttel, just outside Braunschweig, was a place I had whizzed past so many times on the Autobahn during my childhood, always on the way to the Harz from my family in Wolfsburg. Not until I started buying travel guides to Germany as an adult did I realise that there are in fact several interesting sights here. To me, it had just been a small town in the middle of nowhere.
During a visit to my family, it was time for more Harz towns, but this time we decided to make a short break in Wolfenbüttel on the way, since we went along small countryside roads nearby. It turned out to be veeery poorly signposted so we went around the centre several times before actually getting into it, but as long as the council improves that matter, this is a delightful little town, full of half timbered houses and German history. As it belonged to Braunschweig throughout history, its castle plaid an important role along with the one in the bigger town. The suffix -büttel being a north German word for "settlement", the town was founded around the family Wulferesbutles property sometime in the 10th century. For train buffs, it also boasts Germany's oldest railway line. Today, more Swedes than me would definately make pilgrimages here if they knew that this is where Jägermeister have its headquarters...:)))
I really hope to return next time I am in Wolfsburg, to pay more attention to the town centre itself that I did this time. What you will see until then is a page with just the few sights I saw - there are sooo many more.
- Pros:pretty, historic
- Cons:quiet if that's a problem to you
- In a nutshell:Lower Saxony's most underrated destination
In the palace, Duke Julius in 1572 decided to found a library but it was not until the complete bibliophile Duke August... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Wolfenbüttel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wolfenbüttel - Intact Old Residence Town"
- "Wonderful Wolfenbuettel"
- "Wolfenbuettel - Half-timbered buildings and more"
- "A most underrated town"
- "A Wombat In Wolfenbüttel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wolfenbüttel
- Transportation in Wolfenbüttel
- Restaurants in Wolfenbüttel
- Shopping in Wolfenbüttel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wolfenbüttel
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (199)
Have you been to Wolfenbüttel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wolfenbüttel
Photos in WolfenbüttelSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues