"A most underrated town" Wolfenbüttel by Sjalen

Wolfenbüttel Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 187 photos

Wolfenbüttel, just outside Braunschweig, was a place I had whizzed past so many times on the Autobahn during my childhood, always on the way to the Harz from my family in Wolfsburg. Not until I started buying travel guides to Germany as an adult did I realise that there are in fact several interesting sights here. To me, it had just been a small town in the middle of nowhere.

During a visit to my family, it was time for more Harz towns, but this time we decided to make a short break in Wolfenbüttel on the way, since we went along small countryside roads nearby. It turned out to be veeery poorly signposted so we went around the centre several times before actually getting into it, but as long as the council improves that matter, this is a delightful little town, full of half timbered houses and German history. As it belonged to Braunschweig throughout history, its castle plaid an important role along with the one in the bigger town. The suffix -büttel being a north German word for "settlement", the town was founded around the family Wulferesbutles property sometime in the 10th century. For train buffs, it also boasts Germany's oldest railway line. Today, more Swedes than me would definately make pilgrimages here if they knew that this is where Jägermeister have its headquarters...:)))

I really hope to return next time I am in Wolfsburg, to pay more attention to the town centre itself that I did this time. What you will see until then is a page with just the few sights I saw - there are sooo many more.

• Pros:pretty, historic
  • Cons:quiet if that's a problem to you
  • In a nutshell:Lower Saxony's most underrated destination
  • Last visit to Wolfenbüttel: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 2, 2005

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Wolfenbüttel

Have you been to Wolfenbüttel?

Latest Activity in Wolfenbüttel