"VWs and odd sights" Top 5 Page for this destination Wolfsburg by Sjalen
Wolfsburg Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 211 photos
Since I have relatives here I have visited it for almost 30 years now and keep discovering sights...
Wolfsburg hat WOB. That's how the tourist slogan goes as WOB is the car plate letters for Wolfsburg and the town wouldn't have existed without Volkswagen. It was Hitler who took the first dig with the spade to establish his new dream of a "car for the people" and then of course the people also needed a town to live in. Today it has grown to around 120 000 people, most of them with some connection to the huge factory. It starts somewhere halfway to Braunschweig and you can then follow its test tracks, power stations and more all the way to Wolfsburg itself where its main centrepiece is the four chimneys seen all over town and the huge blue VW sign glowing in the dark.
Most people just say it's an incredibly boring place and sure enough, it's not the most entertaining place, but what I like is the modern history. See my tips on "musts" and "off the beaten path" and you will see that I recommend the museum with its horrific descriptions of prisoned workers' children during the war as well as a trip to Helmstedt where you can still see a bit of the old GDR Wall. Sometimes we need a bit of modern history amongst all quaint villages. Having said that, the latter still exist too, you need only visit suburban villages such as Fallersleben, or even the castle in Alt Wolfsburg for a bit of atmosphere.
- Pros:off the beaten path so you see real German life
- Cons:not too much nightlife, ugly modern centre
- In a nutshell:Buy a car and explore the countryside
Wolfsburg's public transport means buses. They run to most places in towns and to suburban villages, although not that... more travel advice
A great daytrip from Wolfsburg if you need a cosy mountain town instead of Autobahn, is to go to Goslar. A World... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Wolfsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Autostadt Wolfsburg"
- "VWs and odd sights"
- "Wolfsburg, home of VW"
- "Autostadt - Volkswagen City"
- "Volkswagen HQ at Wolfsburg"
- "Knoto's new Wolfsburg Page"
- "Wolfsburg = VW ???"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wolfsburg
- Hotels in Wolfsburg
- Transportation in Wolfsburg
- Restaurants in Wolfsburg
- Shopping in Wolfsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Wolfsburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wolfsburg
- 18 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Wolfsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wolfsburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues