"Former capital in search of new identity" Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn by Sjalen
Bonn Travel Guide: 263 reviews and 861 photos
I had past Bonn by train before and knew what the scenery was like, but I could never imagine that the city itself was so pleasant. I know of the "Ständige Vertretung" bar in Berlin where homesick Bonn bureaucrats gather now that they are based in Berlin and whilst I love Berlin, I can now see what they miss. It is not just the majestic Rhine and the silhouettes of the Siebengebirge, but also the compact city centre with its many nice houses and the proximity to lots of wine districts. It is a city which suffers from a bit of an identity crisis now it is no longer the capital, but then again, it was given the responsibility rather hastily and maybe never really asked for it. Besides, it already had a dramatic history of being French in the 18th century, and then Prussian. Now it is established as a bureaucratic city, the UN has recently set up offices here in place of governmental offices (I was once hoping the EU would do it but that would be asking too much of the French and English I'm afraid),
Bonn also has a surprising amount of good shopping, and all shops are at easy walking distance from each other in the old town and, according to Win, cheaper than in nearby Cologne.
Did you also know that Beethoven was born in Bonn? Only living here in his youth really, the city nevertheless profits on his name today with Beethoven associations everywhere, and his statue outside this cheerful old post office.
- Pros:easy to navigate around, good shopping, riverside
- Cons:no known ones :)))
- In a nutshell:A surprising pleasure
Win took us here during the WineRoll and whilst my first impression was of people having had too much to drink, that... more travel advice
Beneath the Kennedy Bridge, on the Bonn side, you will find Et Bröckemännchen. In plain German, that's the... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Bonn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's "Federal City""
- "Opera in Bonn"
- "Welcome to the former Capital city Bonn"
- "Former capital in search of new identity"
- "Wineroll comes to Bonn"
- "Former capital city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bonn
- Hotels in Bonn
- Transportation in Bonn
- Nightlife in Bonn
- Restaurants in Bonn
- Shopping in Bonn
- Warnings and Dangers in Bonn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bonn
- 18 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Bonn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues