"Brewery or history?" Braunschweig by Sjalen
Braunschweig Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 553 photos
Take your pick - there are two breweries and a lot of history in Braunschweig. A city many people miss on their way to more exciting cities further south, or just to the Harz mountains nearby.
I went here several times as a child with my relatives in nearby Wolfsburg but then I was of course not a VT member :))) It has taken me until 2005 to come back to actually look at sights and not just visit the odd child-friendly museum. As we went in November, the weather did not invite us to strolls between cafes along the stream just off the city centre. Instead, we strolled the streets and looked at the history - something that proved a bit tricky at times since the city council has decided to recreate the old castle smack bang in the centre, thereby demolishing a nice park and turning it into a building site for a few years. If only they were to reconstruct the whole castle as it was, but oh no, they are only making the facade look the way it did. The interior will become a shopping centre!
Do go here if you have time to spare. Although war damaged, there is still plenty of good architecture and some nice museums thrown in. At least give the city a chance whilst changing trains - something most people seem to do here, travelling between Hannover and the Harz.
- Pros:off the beaten path, historic
- Cons:war damaged
- In a nutshell:Stroll after the beer!
Braunschweig has a system of trams and buses complimenting each other to take you around the city. more travel advice
The Von Veltheimsches Haus and the Huneborstelsches Haus are two surviving 16th century houses that were once part of... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Braunschweig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braunschweig, my home for now"
- "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- "Of hearts and lions - Braunschweig"
- "Brewery or history?"
- "Braunschweig - a powerhouse of medieval Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braunschweig
- Hotels in Braunschweig
- Transportation in Braunschweig
- Nightlife in Braunschweig
- Restaurants in Braunschweig
- Shopping in Braunschweig
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Braunschweig
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Braunschweig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braunschweig
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues