"THEY NEED YOUR HELP ! WELCOME TO SOMALILAND !" Top 5 Page for this destination Somalia by DAO
Somalia Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 500 photos
IT DOES EXIST !
Hello! I have just returned from Hargeysa, the capital of a country no one recognises – Somaliland. They have been independent from the war-torn south of Somalia for at least 15 years, but no country recognises them - or the UN. This creates problems. When charities send materials to African countries for schools and sports for the children, Somaliland gets ignored. It’s not fair, but you can help!
I have written most of my Hargeysa information here on my Somalia page so it will get more attention. My first 2 ‘Things To Do’ tips are about 2 gentlemen who showed me around and explained the needs they have for the country’s children. If you would like to donate materials, please just send it to their addresses. If you know a charity in your country that can help – PLEASE email them!
Somaliland is peaceful, has an elected President & Parliament, multi-party politics, an army, police and their own currency. You can help the future citizens of Somaliland to develop their fledgling country. Please have a read and email me if you would like to know more.
All the best,
I travelled here, alone, without even a hotel reservation. It is safe, friendly and has plenty of sunshine. Do expect surprised looks because the do not get many tourists yet. Small crowds will gather and small children will follow you. Just say ‘Salaam’ or ‘Hello’ and everyone breaks out into smiles. Many small children will try their English on you, so please stop and speak slowly. They really appreciate it.
The kids may not have grass, a goal or nets, but they still play soccer wherever they can. They just need a good ball. Please see my 2nd ‘Things To Do’ tip on how you can help the children.
- Pros:PEACEFUL, FRIENDLY, SAFE, FUN
- Cons:NOT RECOGNISED BY THE UN
- In a nutshell:READY FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS
This is a good budget hotel near the airport. They also have good food. I ate here one night and the nice waiter took... more travel advice
HELLO! You are looking at a tip I have not added content to yet. If you need information about this now, please email... more travel advice
- See All THE MAN MISSING A FOOT
- See All ETHIOPIAN FLIGHT SERVICE
- See All FLIES
- A FEW THINGS
DAO's Related Pages
Somalia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THEY NEED YOUR HELP ! WELCOME TO SOMALILAND !"
- "Trip to Somalia"
- "Northern Somalia"
- "Elmsaafir's Somalia Page"
- "max11's new Somalia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Somalia
- Hotels in Somalia
- Transportation in Somalia
- Nightlife in Somalia
- Restaurants in Somalia
- Shopping in Somalia
- Warnings and Dangers in Somalia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Somalia
- 41 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Somalia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Somalia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 394 reviews, 3209 photos, 188 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 105 reviews, 2314 photos, 240 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 180 reviews, 1043 photos, 23 travelogues
- London Intro, 200 reviews, 1002 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 165 reviews, 772 photos
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 34 reviews, 650 photos, 65 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 23 reviews, 637 photos, 66 travelogues