Mozambique Shopping Tips by DAO Top 5 Page for this destination
Mozambique Shopping: 3 reviews and 5 photos
Looking for Souvenirs and “crafts”? You will find it at the back of the Municipal Market in Maputo. For some reason they try to hide this fairly large section of souvenirs and art objects. Paintings, wooden handicrafts and all sorts of items from real handmade artefacts to absolute kitsch. The odd bit of North American Indian Dreamcatchers are side by side with plastic keychains and wooden Rondavels (traditional round thatch houses).
Because of its location the section practically buzzes when real tourists enter. They are happy to quietly negotiate a price with you. The atmosphere is very polite and you should negotiate accordingly.
PLEASE NOTE: THIEVES OPERATE AT THE ENTRANCE AND ARE VERY EASY TO SEE
What to buy: I bought 4 wooden Rondavels (pictured) for $3. The selection runs from traditional to total tourist. There are about 15 stalls.
What to pay: It’s all negotiable!
Address: Avenida 25 de Setembro, Maputo
Directions: The central market in the "Baixa" (downtown area) just East of the Train Station
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (29)
- See All BEER, BRAAI AND BEACHES
- See All LANGUAGE LESSON NUMBER 1
- See All BRINGING IN A CAR FROM SOUTH AFRICA
- See All DRIVING TO 'MOZ'
DAO's Related Pages
Mozambique Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CORRUPT AND DANGEROUS"
- "Mozambique - A country of proud people"
- "2.500 Kms Sea Coast in the Indian Ocean"
- "Mozambique - Portuguese East Africa"
- "Magical Mozambique"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mozambique
- Hotels in Mozambique
- Transportation in Mozambique
- Nightlife in Mozambique
- Restaurants in Mozambique
- Shopping in Mozambique
- Warnings and Dangers in Mozambique
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mozambique
- 81 Reviews
- 388 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Mozambique?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mozambique
- Posted in Travel Kruger National Park Forum "Re: money and transport?"
- created a Mozambique Travelogue "MOZAMBIQUE – ALL OF IT (part 18)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "MOZAMBIQUE – ALL OF IT (part 18)"
- Commented on one of junecorlett's Mozambique travel pages
- Wrote a Review BEER, BRAAI AND BEACHES in Mozambique Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 392 reviews, 3191 photos, 187 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2309 photos, 240 travelogues
- London Intro, 182 reviews, 912 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 145 reviews, 855 photos, 21 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 34 reviews, 650 photos, 65 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 115 reviews, 527 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues