"IT'S HOT !" Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti by DAO

Djibouti Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 1,103 photos

HOW IT ALL STARTED

When I first joined VT I wanted to go to Djibouti. It seemed to be a mystery destination and I could not find much information on it. Then I wrote to someone on VT that had a Djibouti page. That was in 2002. He never wrote back, so I just had to go and get the information myself!

Do you need any information on Djibouti? Please email me or leave a comment and I will build tips for you with pictures if I have them!

All the best.

DAO

CROSSROADS OF CIVILIZATIONS

Where Arabia and Islam meet Christianity and the French meet local African Tribes.

LOTS OF MILITARY BASES

The USA, UK, France and Germany all have military Bases here. Then you see loads of navies in the Port. I met quite a few Pakastani Navy personnel during my visit.

• Pros:Modern, good food
  • Cons:Expensive, rude, agressive people
  • In a nutshell:Not an ideal holiday destination. Fine for independant travel
  • Last visit to Djibouti: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2009

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I am surprised to hear it's expensive, and I don't like the part about rude and aggressive people. I HATE rude people. I have been to a few places, where I've had my entire trip ruined because of the people.
    I am sorry you got robbed. I can't believe those guys robbed you after you took their picture. What a couple of idiots!

Anyways, in high school this army guy said he went to Djibouti, and the entire class burst out laughing. Than he said, he saw 3 naked marines in Djibouti.

This country was actually on my list for a while, but not anymore, though I will probably visit some day, though from your tips, it does not sound like a nice place.

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Hi Dao, some sides first time to know about Africa , thanks !

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM

just saw your name appear on the Home page that youve written a new tip...another mouthwatering tip too...and still inspiring us for Africa!

• flynboxes's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM

AJ say's the natives are getting a little restless here too....Probably not the best place as there are more guns here than in Yemen...

• txaggie85's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 12:42 AM

If you have a Mastercard debit card, this is in fact the only place it can be used. It is completely unrealiable. Do not rely on this ATM. Bring a VISA debit card, which all the ATMs accept.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Excellent info on this off the beaten path destination! Don't think I fancy going there though.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Excellent tips & advice, but I'm not sure there was enough to see to make it worth putting up with the thieves or taxi drivers!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 3:34 AM

Revisiting. Excellent additional tips added of Djibouti. Good warning of that shop.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Hi Dao, how are you doing ? Very interesting to read your Djibouti experiences !

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Well if it wasn't for vt I wouldn't have known this place existed! I like your writing style Dao :o) This looks equally as exotic as the Maldives but with an added primative aspect. Keep up the good work! Enjoyed the read :o) Cheers, Ann.

DAO

“VT HOTEL CRITIC 2014 ”

Badges & Stats in Djibouti

Have you been to Djibouti?

Latest Activity in Djibouti