"KATOWICE – WHY ARE YOU HERE AGAIN?" Katowice by DAO

Katowice Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 474 photos

SO WHY KATOWICE ?

KATOWICE IS A WORKING CITY THAT IS NOT TOO FAR FROM KRAKOW AND HAS PLENTY OF FACILITIES FOR VISITORS. IT IS NOT AN ATTRACTIVE CITY THAT WILL HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HORDES OF VISITORS. DESPITE THIS THEY HAVE AN EXCELLENT TOURIST INFORMATION OFFICE AND EXCELLENT TRANSPORT LINKS.

Most readers of this page will be coming here to work rather than sightsee. I hope this information helps.

THIS PAGE IS THANKS TO THE ‘IN YOUR POCKET' GUIDES

Some of my tips may seem a bit superficial and/or brief. This is because I only stayed here less than 48 hours. KATOWICE IN YOUR POCKET is the ultimate guide for this, or just about any, city. I looked around and took pictures of places and businesses listed in this fantastic guide. I would recommend anyone coming to Katowice read this online and get a free copy at any good hotel in the city when they land. My page on VT is here to help if you are looking here for assistance and also to review the businesses I did see. Infuriately the Katowice Museum was closed during my visit here for example. I can tell you about it, but cannot review it.

IF YOU HAVE TO WORK HERE – IT’S OK

Katowice is OK. The people are nice, there are good restaurants, cafés, outdoor drinking & dinning, ‘markets’, nice hotels and great transport. Unfortunately it is a not very pretty ex-Soviet/working/crumbling city. There are some excellent examples of architecture absolutely lost amongst urban sprawl and lack of building controls. If you have to come here for work, it’s much better than it looks at first.

• Pros:THERE ARE HOTELS, RESTAURANTS, ITS EASY TO GET AROUND
  • Cons:SIGNIFICANTLY DEPRESSING ON A COLD, DARK DAY
  • In a nutshell:IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER AND IT'S OK
  • Last visit to Katowice: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 2, 2010

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM

I had no idea there were old and colorful buildings in Katowice. I thought it was only an industrial town. It's not really a tourist city.

• DAO's Profile Photo
      Jul 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM

You are spot on, industrial. It has some nice areas, but they are in out of the way places.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Jul 29, 2014 at 3:34 PM

There is nothing there that's really worth visiting. If I want colorful streets I will go to Gdansk or Poznan.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Hope you had a fabulous birthday!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM

A personal BBQ? Sounds like something that would happen to me!

DAO

“The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ”

Badges & Stats in Katowice

Have you been to Katowice?

Latest Activity in Katowice