"YOUR VISIT HAS EARNED YOU A FREE DRINK!" Wakefield by DAO
Wakefield Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 155 photos
Yes. It is a little known fact that Las Vegas has 2 parts and the 2nd one is here in West Yorkshire. It is also very hard to prove, but the camera never lies. No, I did not doctor the photo. I don’t know how. If I did I would make my own photos look like a cross between Brad Pit and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Well welcome to Wakey. Not many people come here so you will have to let me know what tips you would like to see. I will happily build you a tip on any restaurants, hotels or sights to see. We have a castle as well. Some Roundheads and Cavaliers messed it up when they got into a fight, but it’s mostly still here.
I honestly don’t spend much time here. Just have a look at my travel map. I also work. I hate that fact. However – it pays for more blue parts on the travel map.
Hiya! Welcome to WAKEY (part 2)! OK, I do not personally know the Queen. She did visit here. Wakefield an old Georgian town that is plagued by modern architecture and politicians. There is some great history here including a chapel on a bridge that is 800 years old, the tallest Cathedral in Yorkshire (1000 years old!) and a castle. We even have a hotel on an island in the middle of a lake. Not bad eh?
We have all the mod cons here. Shopping, restaurants, traffic and the ever present West Yorkshire Police. Do not speed here - ever.
WHAT ELSE IS THERE?
There is a lot to see right here in Wakefield!
• Wakefield Cathedral (a thousand years old!)
• Chantry Chapel on the Bridge (800 years old!)
• National Coal Mining Museum
• Nostell Priory
• Newmillerdam Country Park
• Sandal Castle
• Pugneys Country Park
• Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Bretton Country Park
• Hemsworth Waterpark and Playworld
• Secker Wood Local Nature Reserve
• Stanley Marsh Nature Reserve
JUST READ MY 'THINGS TO DO', RATE THE TIP AND CLAIM YOUR PRIZE WHEN YOU GET HERE!
(No ratings - no booze. It's in the small print)
- Pros:GREAT HISTORY !
- Cons:MODERN BLIGHT AND KNOCKING DOWN VICTORIAN BUILDINGS
- In a nutshell:IT'S HOME
MORE SOON! Opening Hours: Monday to Friday* 9:00am - 4:30pm Saturday 10:00am to 3:00pm *Wednesday, early closing at... more travel advice
I was driving one night and a small red car in rather poor condition went past me. I then realised it had the following... more travel advice
DAO's Related Pages
Wakefield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "YOUR VISIT HAS EARNED YOU A FREE DRINK!"
- "The Administrative Centre for West Yorkshire"
- "Wonderful Wakefield!"
- "Wakefield,The Merrie City"
- "Wakefield's Finest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wakefield
- Hotels in Wakefield
- Transportation in Wakefield
- Nightlife in Wakefield
- Restaurants in Wakefield
- Shopping in Wakefield
- Warnings and Dangers in Wakefield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wakefield
- 10 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (190)
Have you been to Wakefield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wakefield
Photos in WakefieldSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 406 reviews, 3417 photos, 206 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 105 reviews, 2314 photos, 240 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 269 reviews, 1546 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 1104 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 185 reviews, 870 photos
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- England Intro, 130 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Togo Intro, 16 reviews, 715 photos, 81 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 18 reviews, 712 photos, 82 travelogues