"YOUR VISIT HAS EARNED YOU A FREE DRINK!" Wakefield by DAO

Wakefield Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 113 photos

WELCOME TO WONDERFUL LAS VEGAS - WAKEFIELD ANEX

Yes. It is a little known fact that Las Vegas has 2 parts and the 2nd one is here in West Yorkshire. It is also very hard to prove, but the camera never lies. No, I did not doctor the photo. I don’t know how. If I did I would make my own photos look like a cross between Brad Pit and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Well welcome to Wakey. Not many people come here so you will have to let me know what tips you would like to see. I will happily build you a tip on any restaurants, hotels or sights to see. We have a castle as well. Some Roundheads and Cavaliers messed it up when they got into a fight, but it’s mostly still here.

I honestly don’t spend much time here. Just have a look at my travel map. I also work. I hate that fact. However – it pays for more blue parts on the travel map.

HRH Elizabeth II

Hiya! Welcome to WAKEY (part 2)! OK, I do not personally know the Queen. She did visit here. Wakefield an old Georgian town that is plagued by modern architecture and politicians. There is some great history here including a chapel on a bridge that is 800 years old, the tallest Cathedral in Yorkshire (1000 years old!) and a castle. We even have a hotel on an island in the middle of a lake. Not bad eh?

We have all the mod cons here. Shopping, restaurants, traffic and the ever present West Yorkshire Police. Do not speed here - ever.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

There is a lot to see right here in Wakefield!
• Wakefield Cathedral (a thousand years old!)
• Chantry Chapel on the Bridge (800 years old!)
• National Coal Mining Museum
• Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Bretton Country Park
• Hemsworth Waterpark and Playworld
• Secker Wood Local Nature Reserve
• Stanley Marsh Nature Reserve

HOW DO YOU GET A FREE DRINK?

JUST READ MY 'THINGS TO DO', RATE THE TIP AND CLAIM YOUR PRIZE WHEN YOU GET HERE!

(No ratings - no booze. It's in the small print)

• Pros:GREAT HISTORY !
  • Cons:MODERN BLIGHT AND KNOCKING DOWN VICTORIAN BUILDINGS
  • In a nutshell:IT'S HOME
  • Last visit to Wakefield: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Somehow I never thought you would have a home town, just be constantly on the road. But if you have to have a home town, this one looks like a good choice.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Got the drink voucher, will be claiming my free drink when I get to London later this month.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Huhu, funny page!

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Got the video, and now I got the drink voucher. You've been warned!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Your hometown is lovely and charming. Good info here. Thanks for the VT tour!

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Impressive fridge magnets collection!!! Wanted to print beer vouchers but it looks like suvanki took them all! :)

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Next time I go to England, I'll definitely let you know. Would love to see you again! :)

• Balam's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Totaly agree on the fridge magnet thing, great tips on Wakefield, i have not been there for ages.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 5:57 AM

so wakefield is in yorkshire - vt is such an education

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 5:01 AM

I must put Wakefield on my list of 'Days Out' though I've heard the Beer Fest is no longer held in the Town Hall. But...... How many Dao Vouchers can I print off???

DAO Lives Here!

DAO

“NEXT STOP - THE SILK ROAD”

Badges & Stats in Wakefield

Have you been to Wakefield?

Latest Activity in Wakefield