Entebbe Things to Do Tips by DAO Top 5 Page for this destination
Entebbe Things to Do: 13 reviews and 36 photos
Set on the shores of Lake Victoria, this is a must see for animal lovers. Popularly known as "Entebbe Zoo", the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre was opened in 1952 by the Colonial government of Uganda as a reception centre for wild animals. They started with animals that were sick, orphaned, or confiscated from illegal traders. In the 1960s, it’s role was that of a traditional zoo including species from outside Uganda. In 1994 the UWEC Trust was set-up to take over the zoo and to develop it primarily for conservation and educational purposes. It has 4 stated goals:
1) A conservation education institution
2) Rescue & rehabilitation of animals
3) Captive breeding for endangered species
4) A zoo for the public to come and see indigenous wildlife
The grounds are massive and you can see native wildlife in large natural settings. All the paths are well marked and a free map of the collections is free with the entry fee. You need to plan on at least half a day here and you can combine it with a trip top the Chimpanzee Sanctuary on Ngamba Island.
Just some of the wildlife you can see here are:
Hoofstocks: Giant forest hog, Buffalo, Eland, Waterbuck, Impala, Bush duiker, Bush buck, Bohor Reedbuck, Warthog, Uganda Kob, Bush Pig, Cape Buffalo and White Rhino
Carnivores: Spotted Hyena, Leopard, Spotted Necked Otter, Serval Cat, Lion
Primates: Colobus monkey, De Brazza monkey, Olive monkey,Patas Monkey,
Red-Tailed Monkey, Grey Checked Mangabey, Vervet Monkey, Baboon
Reptiles: Nile monitor lizard, Marsh terrapins, Tortoise, Rock Python, Nile Crocodile
Birds: Owl, Egyptian goose, Shoebill stork, Marabou Stork, African Fish Eagle, Peacock, Helmeted Guinea Fowl, African Grey Parrot, Crested Crane, Ostrich
UWEC is open everyday of the year from 09:00am to 18:30pm, Last admission is 17.30pm
Postal Address:Uganda Wildlife Education Centre, P.O Box 369 Entebbe, Uganda.
Address: Lugard avenue, Entebbe, Uganda
Directions: The Centre is off the main Kampala to Entebbe Airport road 5 kms from the airport & 1.5 kms from Entebbe town. A large sign indicates the turn. The Centre is 750m from the junction. If using public transport ask to stop at the Botanical Beach Hotel
Other Contact: FAX +256 41 320073
Phone: +256 41 320520
Do you need a visa for Uganda and can you get it on arrival at the airport. Who knows? The Government of Uganda likes to keep you guessing! If you can get a Visa on arrival - that will be $50 U.S. please. Their London High Commission (Embassy) says you have to get it before you go. Last updated 1999. I went in 2007 with an American & British Passport and got it at Entebbe Airport for $50. A tour company website based in Uganda says I should have gotten it for free. This same website says that information on visas changes daily! Also I had an Ethiopian friend who was told he needed a visa before we flew here from Addis Ababa. When we arrived the friend with the visa was told they could have gotten the visa on arrival!
My suggestion to you? Follow the link below to your local Uganda High Commission and telephone them before you book the ticket if you hold a passport other than US or UK.
US & UK citizens can get them when they land – no problem.
DAO's Related Pages
Entebbe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Entebbe and its surrounding area"
- "Entebbe, my gate to Uganda"
- "MORE THAN JUST THE AIRPORT"
- "Entebbe, the airport city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Entebbe
- Hotels in Entebbe
- Transportation in Entebbe
- Nightlife in Entebbe
- Restaurants in Entebbe
- Shopping in Entebbe
- Warnings and Dangers in Entebbe
- See All...
Explore the World
- Iligan City
- Glacier National Park Hotels
- Bandarawela Hotels
- Port Hedland
- Crossfield Hotels
- Krettnich Hotels
Badges & Stats in Entebbe
- 2 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Entebbe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Entebbe
Photos in EntebbeSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 385 reviews, 2777 photos, 137 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 102 reviews, 534 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 99 reviews, 500 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 104 reviews, 455 photos, 11 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (277)
Latest Entebbe hotel reviews
- Sheraton Kampala Hotel
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013