"Jambiani Village - Zanzibar" Jambiani by DAO
Jambiani Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 108 photos
The 2 most striking features of Jambiani are THE ROAD and THE BEACH. About 7000 people live here and the road is the centre of activity. It stretches about 3 miles, north to south. You get to Jambiani by taking a right turn when the paved road ends. All along the road you will encounter small children, ducks, cows, goats, chickens and more small children. The road alternates between sand, rock and large pools of water (during the rainy season). It is lined by coconut tress and you can watch local men harvesting the coconuts. Also along the road you will find quite a few local shops, the post office and the Cultural Village.
You will also see the main product of Jambiani – seaweed. This is cultivated in the sea and then harvested. It is laid out on the ground where is dries into many different colours including purple and mustard. This is then bagged and sold to the Far East.
The beach is breathtaking. A coral reef protects the beach area and keeps the waves at a distance from the beach. It transforms the water into about 10 different shades of blue and makes this one of the prettiest beaches in the world. During high tide the dhows and fishing boats ply the waters and local men catch fish. At low tide the surf goes out about 1 kilometre and the local women walk barefoot to gather the seaweed. The tide recedes past the coral reef and you can walk out to the seaweed beds. Sometimes you can watch some of the men walking in the shallow water with nets and another using a stick to drive the fish into the hand held nets. Be careful if you walk out, there are many sharp shells and sea urchins. Because of the mud and suction normal flip-flops will not do.
Jambiani is a friendly and welcoming place. You will be greeted by "Jambo" and "Karibu Jambiani" wherever you walk. Paradise!
Jambiani was named after the Arab knife known as a ‘Jambiya’. It is a dagger with a broad curved blade that the men carry on the belt. The story has it that one was found on the beach many years ago and the village took the name.
Seaweed (Mwani) is one among the important marine resources of the Zanzibar Islands. The Department of Fisheries and Marine Resources finds partner companies to buy the seaweed through poverty reduction programs. The coastal Communities of Zanzibar receives equipment for developing their farms from Japanese Social Development Fund (JSDF). This programme means that locals are less likely to damage their own natural resources through the collection of seashells, cutting down Mangrove trees and illegal fishing methods.
You can find more information about Seaweed Harvesting here:
- Pros:FRIENDLY VILLAGERS, FANTASTIC NATURAL BEAUTY
- Cons:YOU HAVE TO WALK A LOT IF YOU NEED TO SHOP
- In a nutshell:UNSPOILT PARADISE OVERLOOKED BY MANY TOURISTS
This place on the beach seems to be open by someone in Germany. That would explain why their website is based in Germany... more travel advice
During my stay in Jambiani Village I kept seeing kids playing with old bicycle tyres rims. They would use a good stick... more travel advice
- See All SCUBA DIVING ON THE EAST COAST
- See All MALARIA KILLS
- See All THERE IS A POST OFFICE IN JAMBIANI !
- See All A GOOD PAIR OF BOOTS!
- See All The coin man
DAO's Related Pages
Jambiani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jambiani Village - Zanzibar"
- "TRM in Jambiani (Terminal Relaxation Mode)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jambiani
- Hotels in Jambiani
- Transportation in Jambiani
- Nightlife in Jambiani
- Restaurants in Jambiani
- Shopping in Jambiani
- Warnings and Dangers in Jambiani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jambiani
- 30 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Jambiani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jambiani
Photos in JambianiSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 389 reviews, 2953 photos, 159 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2301 photos, 239 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 109 reviews, 568 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (296)
Latest Jambiani hotel reviews
- Blue Oyster Hotel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Shehe Bungalows
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Coral Rock Hotel
- 255 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Pakachi Beach Hotel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Mbuyuni Beach Village
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013