Zanzibar Town Tourist Trap Tips by DAO Top 5 Page for this destination
Zanzibar Town Tourist Traps: 3 reviews and 6 photos
WHERE FREDDIE ACTUALLY USED TO PLAY
Freddie Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara right here in Stone Town. His father worked at the British Colonial Office and young Farrokh was sent to school in England where he learned to play the piano. Because of the 1964 Zanzibar Revolution, his family fled permanently to England and the rest is show business and music history. A good guide in Stone Town will take you to his humble home down one of the many narrow alleys. About 6 families live inside the apartment building now. It is so humble that I did not take a picture of it or even inside out of respect for the current residents.
There are 3 gift shops that have a nice Brass Plaque near the entrance that grandly states that the building was the home of Freddie Mercury. It is a total lie. They invented this for the tourists who come on cruise ships and only see a small amount of Stone Town. Unfortunately there are some tips that repeat this lie here on VT
**The photos are just of normal housing in Stone Town.**
If a guide takes you to a gift shop and says this is where Freddie was born, get a new guide! Quickly!
Tell your guide you want to see Freddie’s real house. People live upstairs and it is a tall building. No signs, nothing to buy.
More Reviews (48)
- See All THE SHORTEST WAR IN HISTORY
- See All USE THE ATM'S FOR CASH
- See All SMALL AND PERFECT
- See All ON TOP OF THE PORT
- See All THE FINEST BEACHES ARE IN THE EAST
DAO's Related Pages
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STONE TOWN"
- "Zanzibar Town"
- "You have to visit Stone Town"
- "Mji Mkongwe"
- "The Stone Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Town
- Hotels in Zanzibar Town
- Transportation in Zanzibar Town
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Town
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Town
- Shopping in Zanzibar Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Town
- See All...
Explore the World
- Grüner See Hotels
- Sankt Pölten
- Kennebunk Beach Hotels
- Turkbuku Hotels
- Ayia Trias Hotels
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Town
- 49 Reviews
- 219 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Zanzibar Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Town
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I AM TAKING CONTROL (SOON)"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Zanzibar Town travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE PALACE MUSEUM & MAKUSURANI GRAVEYARD"
- Wrote a Review THE SHORTEST WAR IN HISTORY in Zanzibar Town Local Customs
- updated a Zanzibar Town Travel Page "STONE TOWN"
Photos in Zanzibar TownSee All Photos (219)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 389 reviews, 2953 photos, 159 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2301 photos, 239 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 109 reviews, 568 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues