Zanzibar Island Favorite Tips by DAO Top 5 Page for this destination
Zanzibar Island Favorites: 26 reviews and 28 photos
When I first arrived in the East Coast village of Jambiyani, I stayed inside the hotel compound the first afternoon. The next morning I ventured out to get some water from a store and see the village. Just about 100 meters down the road I ran right into a large knot of small children. One look at me and they broke out into absolute spasms of shouting and excited screaming! JAMBO! JAMBO! JAMBO! They were running in circles and several young boys had bicycle tire rims they had turned into a toy with the help of a straight stick. I felt like some sort of children’s entertainer at a birthday party. Wherever I went I was followed for a short period of time. Many tourists NEVER leave their vehicles or hotels. To see a full blown tourist walking on their road and going to their shops was an absolute sensation across the village.
Just have a walk around and you will be able to practice your basic Swahili phrases. Whenever I cam to a cluster of buildings I would here unseen children’s Jambos come at me from hidden sources. Many children actually shy away from the camera, but most want their photo taken! And if you can show them a digital display! Well they just jump up and down with all the excitement. Every once in a while a child will run up to you to touch your hand and run away giggling. They have never touched the skin of someone that looks so different than themselves. Its nice to be an endless source of entertainment and excitement for no real reason at all. It does make you feel great inside though and you feel like the whole village is welcoming you.
WHY NOT VISIT JAMBIYANI YOURSELF?
Jambiyani Village welcomes you!
When I was walking near St Joseph's Cathedral in Stone Town I came upon a small pet Blue Monkey. She was quite small and very curious. I had never been this close to a monkey in my life. She kept trying to get into my pockets and a nearby shopkeeper warned me that she liked to get money out of tourists’ pockets and rip it up. I kept a better watch on my pockets! I sat down and she immediately jumped up on my leg and began to groom me, as monkeys do socially. I started to stroke her like you would a cat. Big mistake. She was a wild animal and had no idea what I was doing. When I tried to act like a monkey and kind of pick at her coat, she took this much more calmly. Her owner had left her some fresh fruit that she would pick at from time to time, but then I thought – wait, something’s missing here. WATER! Zanzibar lies close to the Equator and its stays hot. The poor little monkey had no water. So I shared mine. She seemed to like that a lot. I saw here again over the next few days and always gave her some water. Whenever I would sit with her and share my water the local children would run past shouting CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! Meaning Monkey! They would come near me, but always seemed to run away from my friend the monkey.
It was definitely a Zanzibar experience!
Favorite thing: During my stay in Jambiani Village I kept seeing kids playing with old bicycle tyres rims. They would use a good stick and propel the tyre along the road at great speed with the stick pushing along the groove. Not only is this not easy to do – these kids were amazing fast. If you think its easy – give it a try.
More Reviews (47)
- See All PRETTY NAF IN STONE TOWN
- See All WHEN TO GO AND CLIMATE
- See All SCUBA DIVING ON THE EAST COAST
- See All THE RAINY SEASON
- See All PEMBA FERRY
DAO's Related Pages
Zanzibar Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KARIBU !!!!"
- "Zanzibar - The Spice Island"
- "A scented isle"
- "Zanzibar Island"
- "Idyllic Life : The Spice Island"
- "Zanzibar Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Island
- Hotels in Zanzibar Island
- Transportation in Zanzibar Island
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Island
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Island
- Shopping in Zanzibar Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lafayette Hotels
- Kinshasa Hotels
- Roaring Creek Hotels
- Wakenaam Island Hotels
- Banja Luka
- Cameron Highlands Favorites
- Muscat Favorites
- Sawai Madhopur Favorites
- Skiathos Island Favorites
- Waterton Lakes National Park Favorites
- Porto Alegre Favorites
- Cadiz Favorites
- Benalmádena Favorites
- Binghamton Favorites
- Land Baden-Württemberg Favorites
- Shenandoah National Park Favorites
- Cetinje Favorites
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Island
- 50 Reviews
- 197 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Zanzibar Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 389 reviews, 2953 photos, 159 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2301 photos, 239 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 109 reviews, 568 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues