"NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT" Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo by DAO
Maputo Travel Guide: 331 reviews and 952 photos
When you first arrive in Maputo you feel 2 things at once:
* The vibrant buzz of a tropical, but poor country full of life and culture
* Unsafe - crime, dangerous drivers and corrupt Police
Colonial Architecture is adjacent to Eastern European Soviet-style tower blocs all crammed onto avenues of varying sizes named after Communists Heroes and/or butchers. The atmosphere is sultry and tropical and the pace is active. Street sellers operate near the port area and Jazz bars can be found nearby. It is an intoxication mixture as long as you are vigilant.%f*
Maputo is like a well made cake. It has all the ingredients, but it is just not ready for tourism. It is a crazy place to drive seeming full of life without a lot of the needed organisation. A walking tour will set you back about $5-10 and is the best way to see the riches the city has to offer. You will see the potential the city has to be a ‘must see’ destination – in 10 tears time. You will also see the problems the lack of a well run government brings. Be careful at night. Unlike many large cities, you will not see a lot of private security guards and the Police can be the problem rather than the solution.
I stayed at a hostel that noted that the Police would take knives off you if you carried them for protection. They would then fine you. And you needed to carry your Passport or they would fine you. I had my Passport seized on my drive into the city and not given back until I paid a fine for having the wrong kind of papers for my car (too smooth I was told). You get the idea.
Reading my page you may think the place is completely bleak. It is not. Too many pages on VT only show all the nice parts. Maputo and Mozambique have problems. I am sure it will work out. Please do go on to read my tips. I hope you find them helpful. I believe you have to tell the good and the bad about any location. Take precautions and you will enjoy the electric rhythms of this fabulous city.
THE GOOD PICTURES ARE ON THE TIPS !
- Pros:Art, Climate, easy to walk
- Cons:Crime, Corruption and more Crime
- In a nutshell:Ready for tourism in 10 years
This interesting monument of a woman holding a dead snake was inaugurated on the 11th of November 1935. Created by... more travel advice
Originally called The Provincial Museum, this impressive building was completed in 1911. This colonial building was... more travel advice
DAO's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 28 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 389 reviews, 2953 photos, 159 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2301 photos, 239 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 109 reviews, 568 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (296)
Latest Maputo hotel reviews
- Hotel Ibis Maputo
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2013
- Hotel Villa das Mangas
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Pestana Inhaca Lodge
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Hotel Tivoli
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Pestana Bazaruto Lodge
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Hotel Cardoso
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Afrin Prestige Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Hotel Polana
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
- Girassol Indy Village
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Southern Sun Maputo
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Pestana Rovuma
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013