"NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT" Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo by DAO
Maputo Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 959 photos
When you first arrive in Maputo you feel 2 things at once:
* The vibrant buzz of a tropical, but poor country full of life and culture
* Unsafe - crime, dangerous drivers and corrupt Police
Colonial Architecture is adjacent to Eastern European Soviet-style tower blocs all crammed onto avenues of varying sizes named after Communists Heroes and/or butchers. The atmosphere is sultry and tropical and the pace is active. Street sellers operate near the port area and Jazz bars can be found nearby. It is an intoxication mixture as long as you are vigilant.%f*
Maputo is like a well made cake. It has all the ingredients, but it is just not ready for tourism. It is a crazy place to drive seeming full of life without a lot of the needed organisation. A walking tour will set you back about $5-10 and is the best way to see the riches the city has to offer. You will see the potential the city has to be a ‘must see’ destination – in 10 tears time. You will also see the problems the lack of a well run government brings. Be careful at night. Unlike many large cities, you will not see a lot of private security guards and the Police can be the problem rather than the solution.
I stayed at a hostel that noted that the Police would take knives off you if you carried them for protection. They would then fine you. And you needed to carry your Passport or they would fine you. I had my Passport seized on my drive into the city and not given back until I paid a fine for having the wrong kind of papers for my car (too smooth I was told). You get the idea.
Reading my page you may think the place is completely bleak. It is not. Too many pages on VT only show all the nice parts. Maputo and Mozambique have problems. I am sure it will work out. Please do go on to read my tips. I hope you find them helpful. I believe you have to tell the good and the bad about any location. Take precautions and you will enjoy the electric rhythms of this fabulous city.
THE GOOD PICTURES ARE ON THE TIPS !
- Pros:Art, Climate, easy to walk
- Cons:Crime, Corruption and more Crime
- In a nutshell:Ready for tourism in 10 years
This interesting monument of a woman holding a dead snake was inaugurated on the 11th of November 1935. Created by... more travel advice
Originally called The Provincial Museum, this impressive building was completed in 1911. This colonial building was... more travel advice
DAO's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 28 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (203)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 407 reviews, 3422 photos, 206 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 105 reviews, 2314 photos, 240 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 280 reviews, 1601 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 237 reviews, 1189 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 194 reviews, 913 photos
- England Intro, 161 reviews, 764 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 10 reviews, 746 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Togo Intro, 17 reviews, 720 photos, 81 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 18 reviews, 712 photos, 82 travelogues