"NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT" Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo by DAO

Maputo Travel Guide: 331 reviews and 954 photos

TROPICAL CAPITAL

When you first arrive in Maputo you feel 2 things at once:
* The vibrant buzz of a tropical, but poor country full of life and culture
* Unsafe - crime, dangerous drivers and corrupt Police

Colonial Architecture is adjacent to Eastern European Soviet-style tower blocs all crammed onto avenues of varying sizes named after Communists Heroes and/or butchers. The atmosphere is sultry and tropical and the pace is active. Street sellers operate near the port area and Jazz bars can be found nearby. It is an intoxication mixture as long as you are vigilant.%f*

NOT QUITE READY

Maputo is like a well made cake. It has all the ingredients, but it is just not ready for tourism. It is a crazy place to drive seeming full of life without a lot of the needed organisation. A walking tour will set you back about $5-10 and is the best way to see the riches the city has to offer. You will see the potential the city has to be a ‘must see’ destination – in 10 tears time. You will also see the problems the lack of a well run government brings. Be careful at night. Unlike many large cities, you will not see a lot of private security guards and the Police can be the problem rather than the solution.

I stayed at a hostel that noted that the Police would take knives off you if you carried them for protection. They would then fine you. And you needed to carry your Passport or they would fine you. I had my Passport seized on my drive into the city and not given back until I paid a fine for having the wrong kind of papers for my car (too smooth I was told). You get the idea.

IT'S NOT ALL BAD !

Reading my page you may think the place is completely bleak. It is not. Too many pages on VT only show all the nice parts. Maputo and Mozambique have problems. I am sure it will work out. Please do go on to read my tips. I hope you find them helpful. I believe you have to tell the good and the bad about any location. Take precautions and you will enjoy the electric rhythms of this fabulous city.

THE GOOD PICTURES ARE ON THE TIPS !

• Pros:Art, Climate, easy to walk
  • Cons:Crime, Corruption and more Crime
  • In a nutshell:Ready for tourism in 10 years
  • Last visit to Maputo: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Your information on Maputo jibes very well with my impressions when I was there in 2001. My daughter was working there at the time, organising flood relief projects for an Irish development organization.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 8:28 PM

An excellent page of Maputo. Great tips for any first time visitors.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Great page DAO, how is it that you get to travel so much?

• mikarov99's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Intersting, i have one friend who is living here.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 3:00 PM

But of course, the straws up the nose is Frankies trademark. :-)

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Think I could cope with the hotel.....

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 5:35 PM

wow, I can't decide if I like the train station or the fort the most. BEAUTIFUL!!!

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2006 at 7:29 AM

Nice pages on Maputo. I didn't like the smelly fish at the market but I also bought the nicest fans for less than a $1 each. The Holiday Inn is not as expensive and has an amazing view. Stunning building as well. Don't know if you saw it. On the beach.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 1:34 AM

Hello DAO! Happy Birthday from Finland! What an interesting page on most interesting place. I will travel there one day for sure. Cheers, Sini

• maple_air's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 4:37 AM

Hmm, interesting page. Hoping to see more of this. Those buildings are indeed colorful. What's with Eiffel and anything iron ? ;D

DAO

“I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow . Frank Zappa”

Badges & Stats in Maputo