Bahir Dar Shopping Tips by DAO Top 5 Page for this destination
Bahir Dar Shopping: 3 reviews and 7 photos
You cannot miss the main market here in Bahir Dar. This place is massive. Everything is sold here from food, spices, clothes, plastic goods, you name it. Unlike Addis Ababa part of the market is open after dark, but I would avoid it then. This is a great way to see real African life and pick up anything you need cheaply. Remember that you will get a higher ‘Farngi’ price so you have to haggle or walk away. Watch out for pickpockets!
At some of the Lake Monasteries you will be greeted by kids who want to sell you models of reed boats. These are neat miniatures of the real thing and they are hand made. The kids will ask you for 20-30 Birr. Please pay 5-10 and no more. Mine is proudly on my bookshelf.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (28)
- See All SUN SCREEN LOTION
- See All MALARIA
- See All THE HANDSHAKE OF RESPECT
- See All FLY HERE !
DAO's Related Pages
Bahir Dar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bahir Dar, Lake Tana and Blue Nile Falls"
- "THE dreamed Riviera"
- "LAKE MONASTERIES"
- "The town by the lake"
- "Bahir Dar"
- "Lovely town by the lake..."
- "Ethiopia's riviera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bahir Dar
- Hotels in Bahir Dar
- Transportation in Bahir Dar
- Restaurants in Bahir Dar
- Shopping in Bahir Dar
- Warnings and Dangers in Bahir Dar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bahir Dar
- 30 Reviews
- 429 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (190)
Have you been to Bahir Dar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahir Dar
Photos in Bahir DarSee All Photos (429)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 406 reviews, 3417 photos, 206 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 105 reviews, 2314 photos, 240 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 269 reviews, 1546 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 1109 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 185 reviews, 870 photos
- England Intro, 131 reviews, 614 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Togo Intro, 16 reviews, 715 photos, 81 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 18 reviews, 712 photos, 82 travelogues