Lalibela Packing List Tips by DAO Top 5 Page for this destination
Lalibela What to Pack: 6 reviews and 9 photos
PURCHASED IN ADDIS ABABA
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Lalibela has VERY limited shopping opportunities outside of some cold drinks. The town does not even have a bank. On top of that there is a 100% import tax on all goods from outside Ethiopia. Lalibela gets most of its goods overland from Addis Ababa, increasing the price. Finding women’s hygiene products and things like deodorants is not guaranteed and will cost you 2-4 times what you would buy it for at home. My deodorant (pictured) cost my twice what it would in the USA. Please pack accordingly.
MY WET WIPES IN ADDIS
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Why should babies be the only ones to have these hygienic wipes? I don’t know why, but the adult version of this fantastic travel product always seem to be more expensive than the kids version, even though what’s inside is exactly the same. You need to use your right hand to eat food in Ethiopia. Good luck to you if you are left handed. Sometimes a restaurant may be out of soap and having some wet wipes in your rucksack are indispensable. Also, your hand will be an absolute mess after you are finished and these handy guys get all the food off. There is also almost always NO toilet paper wherever you go in Ethiopia. Yep, handy wet wipes to the rescue. Because there is 100% tax on all imported goods and they don’t make them here – bring your own. I have seen them priced up in Addis Ababa at 3 times what I paid at home.
Wet wipes – don’t leave home without them!
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Ethiopia may be mostly highlands, but they often get MONTHS of sunshine without much rain. It still gets hot and you are very close to the Equator. A good all around hat would be a very good idea. One that will not be destroyed during packing and repacking. Even the locals find the sun very strong and often use umbrellas (pictured) to shield themselves. Some good sunscreen to match would be a very good idea as well. Buy both before you come as they have a 100% import tax on all goods and few shops sell these items here, if at all.
More Reviews (36)
- See All DO NOT PUT YOUR NAPKIN ON THE PLATE!
- See All THE SHOE KEEPERS
- See All OVER PRICED
- See All THE STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN - BET GABRIEL...
- See All GIFT SHOPS AT THE AIRPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Lalibela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ethiopia's top attraction"
- "BEYOND PETRA"
- "Lalibela - A Holy Heritage Built by Angels"
- "Biblical Lalibela"
- "Legendary Lalibela"
- "8th (unofficial) Historical World Wonder!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lalibela
- Hotels in Lalibela
- Transportation in Lalibela
- Nightlife in Lalibela
- Restaurants in Lalibela
- Shopping in Lalibela
- Warnings and Dangers in Lalibela
- See All...
Explore the World
- Estado de Nayarit
- Unken Hotels
- Calafell Hotels
- Cartavio Hotels
- Larnaca District Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lalibela
- 39 Reviews
- 579 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Lalibela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lalibela
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Lalibela Travelogue "LALIBELA - ALL OF IT! (number 59)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "LALIBELA - ALL OF IT! (number 39)"
- Commented on one of thelittlevoice's Lalibela travel pages
- Wrote a Review DO NOT PUT YOUR NAPKIN ON THE PLATE! in Lalibela Local Customs
Photos in LalibelaSee All Photos (579)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 385 reviews, 2777 photos, 137 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 102 reviews, 534 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 99 reviews, 500 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 104 reviews, 455 photos, 11 travelogues