"I HAD THE PARK & GORILLAS ALL TO MYSELF !" Parc National de Virunga by DAO
Parc National de Virunga Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 84 photos
Why did you go see the Gorillas in the DRC? OK. Actually friends and family asked “DRC? Are you crazy?”
The reasons (plural) I decided on DRC were:
• I had not visited the DRC before
• I wanted to see the Mountain Gorillas
• Saving money would be helpful
• Few people have visited there and the DRC pages on VT need new info
• I had arranged an economical and safe Tour Guide to get me there
In recent years the Parc National de Virunga has been plagued by armed rebel groups, poachers and even volcanic eruptions. Right now it’s not. You also get to go very close to an active volcano before you see the Gorillas. Something you cannot do in Uganda and Rwanda which jointly share the park. The permits are also $100 cheaper than the other 2 countries. And the best reason:
I WAS THE ONLY TOURIST IN THE PARC NATIONAL DE VIRUNGA THE WEEK I VISITED
I did not know this would happen ahead of time. It was apparent when they asked me to sign into the Visitor’s Book. That meant it was just me, my 2 Ranger escorts and the Humba Family of Gorillas. There were 12 of them. I had a friend who saw the Gorillas in Rwanda and the visitors outnumbered the Gorillas they saw on the day.
So all that bad press keeps the crowds away. Also if you visit here, your fees support the protection efforts of the Rangers in the DRC as well.
If you have any questions about this fantastic adventure – please email me!
Happy to help,
Your visit helps to provide him, his parents, brothers and sisters with a future to live in the wild.
- Pros:CHEAPEST GORILLA PERMIT
- Cons:GOMA IS CORRUPT AND YOU NEED A YELLOW FEVER CERTIFICATE
- In a nutshell:NO OTHER TOURISTS - JUST YOU AND THE GORILLAS !
The park is a natural rain forest near the Equator. That means it rains all year long. In fact they average 1975mm... more travel advice
Martin is one of the 2 Rangers who guided me through the Parc National de Virunga to find the Mountain Gorillas. In... more travel advice
DAO's Related Pages
Parc National de Virunga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I HAD THE PARK & GORILLAS ALL TO MYSELF !"
- ""Mum, I Went to Congo to see the Gorillas"!!!"
- "Trekking for the Mountain Gorillas"
- "Gorilla trek into the Congo - Virunga Nat. Park"
- "Gorillas in Virunga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parc National de Virunga
- Hotels in Parc National de Virunga
- Transportation in Parc National de Virunga
- Restaurants in Parc National de Virunga
- Warnings and Dangers in Parc National de Virunga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parc National de Virunga
- 8 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Parc National de Virunga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parc National de Virunga
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I AM TAKING CONTROL (SOON)"
- updated a Parc National de Virunga Travel Page "I HAD THE PARK & GORILLAS ALL TO MYSELF !"
- Uploaded a Photo to "BORROWING A SMALLER VT FLAG"
- Wrote a Review YOUR CAMERA IS GOING TO GET WET in Parc National de Virunga Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Video to Parc National de Virunga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 389 reviews, 2953 photos, 159 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2301 photos, 239 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 109 reviews, 568 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues