"I HAD THE PARK & GORILLAS ALL TO MYSELF !" Parc National de Virunga by DAO

Parc National de Virunga Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 193 photos

SO THE STORY GOES ........

Why did you go see the Gorillas in the DRC? OK. Actually friends and family asked “DRC? Are you crazy?”

The reasons (plural) I decided on DRC were:

• I had not visited the DRC before
• I wanted to see the Mountain Gorillas
• Saving money would be helpful
• Few people have visited there and the DRC pages on VT need new info
• I had arranged an economical and safe Tour Guide to get me there

In recent years the Parc National de Virunga has been plagued by armed rebel groups, poachers and even volcanic eruptions. Right now it’s not. You also get to go very close to an active volcano before you see the Gorillas. Something you cannot do in Uganda and Rwanda which jointly share the park. The permits are also $100 cheaper than the other 2 countries. And the best reason:

I WAS THE ONLY TOURIST IN THE PARC NATIONAL DE VIRUNGA THE WEEK I VISITED

I did not know this would happen ahead of time. It was apparent when they asked me to sign into the Visitor’s Book. That meant it was just me, my 2 Ranger escorts and the Humba Family of Gorillas. There were 12 of them. I had a friend who saw the Gorillas in Rwanda and the visitors outnumbered the Gorillas they saw on the day.

So all that bad press keeps the crowds away. Also if you visit here, your fees support the protection efforts of the Rangers in the DRC as well.

If you have any questions about this fantastic adventure – please email me!

Happy to help,

DAO

MEET THE HUMBA FAMILY !

Your visit helps to provide him, his parents, brothers and sisters with a future to live in the wild.

THE NEXT GENERATION

ARE WAITING TO SEE YOU !

• Pros:CHEAPEST GORILLA PERMIT
  • Cons:GOMA IS CORRUPT AND YOU NEED A YELLOW FEVER CERTIFICATE
  • In a nutshell:NO OTHER TOURISTS - JUST YOU AND THE GORILLAS !
  • Last visit to Parc National de Virunga: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2010

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Outstanding shots. The only thing better would have been to get "Papa" to hold the VT Flag for you.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM

My goodness, this takes me back D. Man, you have no idea. Great shots compadre. The narrative however, brought back a pain in my jaw, I only feel occasionally these days.......d:o)
      Not your fault of course. I cracked up at the CON: "Goma is corrupt....." I know the M23s have been creating havoc around Goma for some time now. Looks like you bypassed most of it.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Oh, that's a great idea. That would've won for sure. Thanks for the idea.

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Oh my gosh, sounds like you had an amazing experience. I hope to one day see the gorillas.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Me too. It's been on my list for a long time. Unfortunately, the world's best gorilla viewing sites, are located in some of the world's most dangerous countries, but tha just adds to the thrill.

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Love this page and also a good tip when you get charged by a gorilla.
    A porter(Cameroonian) of mine once was bitten in the bottom when he ran away!
    :))

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM

If I was ever charged by a gorilla I think I would probably die of a heart attack before I ever had the chance to lay down....

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Great pages!x

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Virunga National Park unfortunately has become a battleground for scarce resources, and sadly has become a dangerous place for both park rangers and gorillas. Great page!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

wow Dao in the DRC! thats hero enough let alone going bush there!..enjoyed the read - joined up with Kennedy on fb a few months back - some good connections we have here now I should head off myself soon!

• georeiser's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Exciting pages. Keep on the good work

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Tarzan! DAO, is there anything you haven't done yet that you want to do now that you've wished me happy birthday? Your page is great! Janet

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Seen them in 89, but don't remember what family. Need to find the piece of paper. No mask then, but no food was allowed either. In March there was no rain ;) but ants falling down your neck... Great experience!!! Great page!

DAO

“I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow . Frank Zappa”

Badges & Stats in Parc National de Virunga

Have you been to Parc National de Virunga?

Photos in Parc National de Virunga