"NO STRESS" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha do Sal by DAO
Ilha do Sal Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 108 photos
Sal is essentially a desert island with no trees, few resources or people. It has mostly just huge tracts of sand in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean near the Equator which guarantees hot weather year round. In other words – a property developers dream. In fact the developers are literally changing the landscape of the island at an incredible rate and should be able to completely destroy the natural beauty of this island by the year 2015.
So why did this become a tourist destination in the first place? Because it is somewhat midway between Portugal and Brazil as well as midway between Cape Town and London, it’s a great place to have a place to refuel and land planes. Also there aren’t many places in the Atlantic to stop if a plane needs to land suddenly. Remember, it has essentially no inhabitants and it’s flat. So the airport was built, strangely by Italy, while Cape Verde was still a Portuguese Colony. During Apartheid South African Airways used it because many African countries would not allow them landing or overflights.
Today the town of Santa Maria in the south has all the tourist hotels, but plans have been approved to destroy natural areas in the north for new mega-hotels.
Click on the photo for a better look. For some reason the best photo I could get of my Virtual Tourist flip-flops on the sand was one that was upside down. Some of my tips explore the flip-side of life here, as do many of my tips on other pages. Well, someone needs to report the weird and wonderful things that go one here. Hope you enjoy my page as I work on it.
I took with me, and used, every known VT product except my VT boxer shorts. From pens, to luggage tags, flip-flops, VT business cards, beach bag, flag and T-shirt. All worked just fine.
- Pros:ALWAYS HOT
- Cons:BEING OVERDEVELOPED BEFORE YOUR EYES
- In a nutshell:AFRICA FOR EUROPEANS WHO DON'T DO AFRICA
IPNET is a cracking new internet place in Sal that offers fast speeds and modern equipment. One of the owners, Patrizia,... more travel advice
Sal has ATM cash machines. In fact they seem to be plagued with them. Despite what the guidebooks say, there are ATM’s... more travel advice
DAO's Related Pages
Ilha do Sal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SAL - Life is a beach"
- "NO STRESS"
- "the island in the wind"
- "ILHA DO SAL, CABO VERDE"
- "Sun, Sand and lots of Salt"
- "Ilha do Sal, the island of the white sand beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha do Sal
- Hotels in Ilha do Sal
- Transportation in Ilha do Sal
- Nightlife in Ilha do Sal
- Restaurants in Ilha do Sal
- Shopping in Ilha do Sal
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha do Sal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha do Sal
- 4 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Ilha do Sal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha do Sal
Photos in Ilha do SalSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 390 reviews, 3085 photos, 175 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2309 photos, 240 travelogues
- London Intro, 170 reviews, 857 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 126 reviews, 713 photos, 14 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues