"ITS ALL IN THE NAME" Top 5 Page for this destination Ouagadougou by DAO
Ouagadougou Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 627 photos
Welcome to the big city! Ouagadougou sounds like a small river village out in the bush, but is by far the largest city in Burkina Faso. The city has around 1.5 million inhabitants. The next closest city - Bobo-Dioulasso – has around 360,000 people and then it gets really small and rural. The city is not just the capital, but also the hub of just about anything in the country.
It has an International Airport, rail station and all roads lead from here. It’s a ‘modern’ city with hotels, restaurants, bars, small markets, mosques and churches. It, like the rest of Burkina Faso, is not on the tourist trial and probably won’t be soon. I ended up here when my flight to Mali was cancelled because of a military coup. It’s a nice enough place, but it’s ungodly hot. Due to one renovation idea to many – they have cut down every tree and cleared almost every derelict area. Then ran out of money to build anything to replace it. So large open areas baking in the sun year round. At least the drinks at almost all the little kiosk shops are ice cold.
The only excursion I could find in the guide book was the only excursion I was offered by the street touts as well. Going to the crocodile farm.
- Pros:IT'S FRIENDLY ENOUGH, NOT MANY HASSLES
- Cons:NOT A TOURIST DESTINATION
- In a nutshell:A GREAT PLACE TO HAVE YOUR OWN TRANSPORT
How good is the food here? The former President, Blaise Compaoré, had them deliver pizza to the Presidential Palace.... more travel advice
The currency of Burkina Faso is the West African CFA Franc. You may see it written as "F CFA" and you will hear it... more travel advice
DAO's Related Pages
Ouagadougou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ITS ALL IN THE NAME"
- "Ouagadougou - the mobylette"
- "under construction"
- "The city of the motorbikes and bicycles"
- "Ouagadougou, Burkina's Dusty Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ouagadougou
- Hotels in Ouagadougou
- Transportation in Ouagadougou
- Nightlife in Ouagadougou
- Restaurants in Ouagadougou
- Shopping in Ouagadougou
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouagadougou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouagadougou
- 11 Reviews
- 445 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (202)
Have you been to Ouagadougou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouagadougou
Photos in OuagadougouSee All Photos (445)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 407 reviews, 3422 photos, 206 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 105 reviews, 2314 photos, 240 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 276 reviews, 1581 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 235 reviews, 1179 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 194 reviews, 913 photos
- England Intro, 158 reviews, 749 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 10 reviews, 746 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Togo Intro, 17 reviews, 720 photos, 81 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 18 reviews, 712 photos, 82 travelogues