"AL-SALAAM ALAYKUM !" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa by DAO
Sanaa Travel Guide: 179 reviews and 578 photos
When I landed at the airport I began to argue with the taxi drivers almost oblivious to my surroundings. A deal was agreed and I hopped in the front of the battered old taxi. I then began to realise that my driver had the largest curved knife in his belt I had ever seen. Combined with the cracked windscreen, I thought I had the scariest Taxi driver in the world. A little bit of conversation began to make me think otherwise. As we drove through industrialised streets full of cars, loud horns, trucks, more horns and just crazy driving I began to relax. As new began to give way to old, the brown buildings with their white trims began to appear. So did people. Women covered in black always seeming to be in a covered hurry and men with – more daggers! They all had them in ornate belts. Every man and many a boy walking past covered black figures with small children in tow. And the car horns grew louder. I had arrived. Somehow into a busy growing city and yet 1000 years back in time.
Welcome to Yemen !
- Pros:BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS, FRIENDLY PEOPLE
- Cons:TOTALLY MALE DOMINATED SOCIETY
- In a nutshell:A DEFINATE TOURIST DESTINATION FOR THE INDEPENDENT TRAVELLER
The receptionist in my hotel saw me taking photos of women walking by from well inside the lobby entrance. He said “They... more travel advice
About 15 kilometres, 30 minutes drive or about 1500 years outside of Sana'a. It is called 'Dar al-Hajar’. This is a... more travel advice
- See All DIET SODA
- See All MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL ARTS AND CRAFTS
- See All FAST (STREET) FOOD
- TAXI (UN SHARED)
DAO's Related Pages
Sanaa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AL-SALAAM ALAYKUM !"
- "Friendly weapons"
- "Yemen - unspoilt jewel of Arabia"
- "an ancient beauty"
- "Most Unique City on Earth . . Period"
- "night tales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sanaa
- Hotels in Sanaa
- Transportation in Sanaa
- Nightlife in Sanaa
- Restaurants in Sanaa
- Shopping in Sanaa
- Warnings and Dangers in Sanaa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanaa
- 31 Reviews
- 171 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Sanaa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanaa
Photos in SanaaSee All Photos (171)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 389 reviews, 2953 photos, 159 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2301 photos, 239 travelogues
- London Intro, 153 reviews, 765 photos, 7 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 109 reviews, 568 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues
Latest Sanaa hotel reviews
- Sheraton Sanaa Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2013
- Moevenpick Hotel Sana'a
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Sheba Hotel Sanaa
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Dawood Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Mercure Sana A Al Saeed 3M
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Arabia Felix
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013