"AL-SALAAM ALAYKUM !" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa by DAO
Sanaa Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 955 photos
When I landed at the airport I began to argue with the taxi drivers almost oblivious to my surroundings. A deal was agreed and I hopped in the front of the battered old taxi. I then began to realise that my driver had the largest curved knife in his belt I had ever seen. Combined with the cracked windscreen, I thought I had the scariest Taxi driver in the world. A little bit of conversation began to make me think otherwise. As we drove through industrialised streets full of cars, loud horns, trucks, more horns and just crazy driving I began to relax. As new began to give way to old, the brown buildings with their white trims began to appear. So did people. Women covered in black always seeming to be in a covered hurry and men with – more daggers! They all had them in ornate belts. Every man and many a boy walking past covered black figures with small children in tow. And the car horns grew louder. I had arrived. Somehow into a busy growing city and yet 1000 years back in time.
Welcome to Yemen !
- Pros:BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS, FRIENDLY PEOPLE
- Cons:TOTALLY MALE DOMINATED SOCIETY
- In a nutshell:A DEFINATE TOURIST DESTINATION FOR THE INDEPENDENT TRAVELLER
There are 9 Post Offices in Sana’a. Having said that, do not leave it until the last minute to buy your stamps for... more travel advice
If you read all my hotel tips on VT you find that I always seem to have a problem with the Accor group of hotels. Their... more travel advice
- See All NO GUNS ALLOWED IN SANA'A
- See All DIET SODA
- See All MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL ARTS AND CRAFTS
- See All FAST (STREET) FOOD
DAO's Related Pages
Sanaa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AL-SALAAM ALAYKUM !"
- "Friendly weapons"
- "Yemen - unspoilt jewel of Arabia"
- "an ancient beauty"
- "Most Unique City on Earth . . Period"
- "night tales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sanaa
- Hotels in Sanaa
- Transportation in Sanaa
- Nightlife in Sanaa
- Restaurants in Sanaa
- Shopping in Sanaa
- Warnings and Dangers in Sanaa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanaa
- 32 Reviews
- 548 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Sanaa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanaa
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- created a Sanaa Travelogue "SANA'A - ALL OF IT - PART 47"
- Uploaded a Photo to "NO STAMPS AT THE POST OFFICE"
- Wrote a Review NO STAMPS AT THE POST OFFICE in Sanaa Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of DAO's Sanaa travelogues
- Uploaded a Video to Sanaa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 390 reviews, 3109 photos, 178 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 104 reviews, 2309 photos, 240 travelogues
- London Intro, 170 reviews, 857 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 126 reviews, 737 photos, 17 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 8 reviews, 736 photos, 90 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burundi Intro, 8 reviews, 731 photos, 86 travelogues
- Madagascar Intro, 11 reviews, 683 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 32 reviews, 605 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 39 reviews, 579 photos, 58 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 106 reviews, 492 photos, 13 travelogues