"AL-SALAAM ALAYKUM !" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa by DAO

Sanaa Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 955 photos

ARRIVAL IN THE TIME MACHINE

When I landed at the airport I began to argue with the taxi drivers almost oblivious to my surroundings. A deal was agreed and I hopped in the front of the battered old taxi. I then began to realise that my driver had the largest curved knife in his belt I had ever seen. Combined with the cracked windscreen, I thought I had the scariest Taxi driver in the world. A little bit of conversation began to make me think otherwise. As we drove through industrialised streets full of cars, loud horns, trucks, more horns and just crazy driving I began to relax. As new began to give way to old, the brown buildings with their white trims began to appear. So did people. Women covered in black always seeming to be in a covered hurry and men with – more daggers! They all had them in ornate belts. Every man and many a boy walking past covered black figures with small children in tow. And the car horns grew louder. I had arrived. Somehow into a busy growing city and yet 1000 years back in time.

Welcome to Yemen !

• Pros:BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS, FRIENDLY PEOPLE
  • Cons:TOTALLY MALE DOMINATED SOCIETY
  • In a nutshell:A DEFINATE TOURIST DESTINATION FOR THE INDEPENDENT TRAVELLER
  • Last visit to Sanaa: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 16, 2007

• flynboxes's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Classic toilet tip...lots of fun when you have a good case of the squirts.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Recently i've read an interesting article on Sanaa. So I've checked on VT to find out more and here comes an excellent page of yours with lots of useful informative tips. Sanaa isdefinitely a place I'd like to visit one day.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Great page, thanks for sharing! The word 'qat' is so useful when playing Scrabble, and you have a 'q' but no 'u' :) I learned it thanks to VT:) greets from gloomy Sofia

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Amazing Photos!

• May 27, 2009 at 10:34 PM

ive seen your sanaa tip on the main vt page for a while now, and have been meaning to visit. finally had the time, and what a delight! great practical tips on this very unique city! thanks for sharing.

• May 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM

ed hardy buy ed hardy

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Just a fantastic page! All your tips were not only interesting but useful. Wish I could be as confident in traveling to exotic places as you!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Sanaa has been on my wish list for many years-but is it safe?Great page, and tips. Pics are interesting. I read about Qat long ago-opiate for the masses.

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 9:50 AM

What a great page! I just love those ornate brown and white buildings!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Whooa I had to rate this tip because of those GORGEOUS pics and your COURAGE to climb the roof to take them! Congrats :)

DAO

“NEXT STOP - THE SILK ROAD”

Badges & Stats in Sanaa