"Fran's Newnan Page" Newnan by fa330
Newnan Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 48 photos
A BRIEF HISTORY OF NEWNAN:
Newnan was first settled in 1828 and was named for a soldier, General Daniel Newnan from North Carolina. He later became GA Secretary of State and a US Congressman. Once Newnan was established, lawyers, doctors, and merchants began conducting business in the new town. Newnan prospered at the turn of the century due to the success of the cotton industry, and the town's leading citizens invested in the railroad during the mid 1800's. This brought economic prosperity to the town and established Newnan as one of the wealthiest towns per capita in the United States. A passenger railroad line to Newnan was opened in 1851.
The Civil War came closest to Newnan in July 1864, when the battle of Brown's Mill occurred three miles South of town, resulting in the defeat of Federal forces. College Temple was used during the war as a hospital for wounded Confederate and Union troops as were the courthouse and local churches. Newnan was spared some of the ravages of the Civil War, and many historic homes still line the streets of Newnan, known today as the "City of Homes".
Info taken from: www.ci.newnan.ga.us/newnanhistory.htm.
Recently Newnan celebrated its 175th anniversary!
I think this church is so pretty!
Sharpsburg is a small town about 5 miles East of Newnan on Highway 16. There are about 10 antique shops, all unique in... more travel advice
Newnan has everything: shopping, restaurants, a movie theater, a bowling alley, a library, and a historic district with... more travel advice
fa330's Related Pages
Newnan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fran's Newnan Page"
- "newnan georgia"
- "My first home town in the US"
- "Great Place to Stay When Driving Through Atlanta"
- "Newnan, GA"
- "Camper96's new Newnan Page"
- "You'll Be Surprised Who's Been in Newnan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newnan
- Hotels in Newnan
- Transportation in Newnan
- Nightlife in Newnan
- Restaurants in Newnan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newnan
- 8 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Newnan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newnan
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Newnan Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vogel State Park Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Savannah Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pittsburgh Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Helen Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yokohama Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pine Mountain Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fort Walton Beach Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue