Hamburg Favorite Tips by tini58de
Hamburg Favorites: 109 reviews and 108 photos
Fleet in Hamburg
Favorite thing: Hamburg is said to have even more bridges than Venice - and one reason are definitely all those fleets.
A Fleet is a Hamburg city canal - and the city is full of those canals. You can go on a Fleet Fahrt - a canal cruise or enjoy one of the cafés that are built on floating pontons or just walk across those hundred of bridges...
Whichever way you do it, you will surely get to like those fleets.
Favorite thing: You will find figures of a water carrier throughout the city of Hamburg.
There is a story to it that I would like to share with you and that explains where the famous Hamburg greeting Hummel, Hummel - Mors, Mors comes from!!:
The story goes back to the water carrier Johann Wilhelm Bentz who lived from 1787 to 1854. He was a pretty evil tempered man who lived in the same appartment that previously the charming soldier Daniel Christian Hummel had lived in. And this man had been very popular with the kids in the neighborhood.
Those neighborhood kids missed Hummel and in order to get the bad tempered water carrier angry they would shout: "Hummel, Hummel" in his direction. Well, with 30 liters on his shoulders he could not really do anything but shout "Mors, Mors" in their direction, which is Low German and means a**, a** ............
And that is how this Hanseatic "greeting" came about!
Favorite thing: Hamburg's weather has a real bad reputation: it is said that it seems to always rain in Hamburg!!
This is not true
Statistically it does not rain more in Hamburg than in any other city in Germany (which you can see in terms of liters per m²), BUT in Hamburg you do have more hours with slight rain, whereas in other German cities it rains less often, but with a highter intensity....
So, just be prepared and take an umbrella with you or any sort of rain gear and enjoy the city anyway... There are the most interesting museums and shopping malls and cafés there - so don't worry about rain or drizzle...
Here is the weather forecast for Hamburg
Favorite thing: Hamburg is called 'the gateway to the world' and that is what it is:
it is the second biggest town in Germany, very cosmopolitan, but yet it can be quite homely, if you leave the city center!
Fondest memory: I lived here for 18 years, spent my college years here, made friends and I always enjoy returning 'home'!!
More Reviews (33)
- See All The absolute very best Greek Restaurant...
- Nighttime harbor cruise
- See All Train stations
- See All Gänsemarkt
- See All Shopping galeries
tini58de's Related Pages
Hamburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hamburg - a lot of great memories"
- "Port Hamburg Welcomes You!"
- "The Forgotten Hamburg"
- "FIFA came & went! But There's Still Lots To Do!"
- "Welcome to Hamburg"
- "In the footsteps of . . . Schnabelewopski?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamburg
- Hotels in Hamburg
- Transportation in Hamburg
- Nightlife in Hamburg
- Restaurants in Hamburg
- Shopping in Hamburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Hamburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamburg
- 37 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Hamburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamburg
- Posted in Travel Karlsruhe Forum "Re: getting to the Baden Airpark ..."
- Commented on one of tini58de's Hamburg tips
- Wrote a Review The absolute very best Greek Restaurant I know in Hamburg Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Die Fischpfanne"
- updated a Hamburg Travel Page "Hamburg - the gateway to the world...."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Reeperbahn - St. Pauli- 35 Reviews, 56 Photos
- City Centre- 30 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Speicherstadt- 34 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Town Hall - Rathaus- 40 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Port - Hafen- 76 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Fischmarkt- 17 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Michaeliskirche- 29 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Blankenese- 12 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Elbtunnel- 13 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Canals- 17 Reviews, 33 Photos
See All Hamburg Things to Do