"Longyearbyen - the northernmost city of the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen by tini58de

Longyearbyen Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 176 photos

Longyearbyen is the capital of Svalbard - a small town with a harbor, a couple of set off coal mines and a few hotels. Really nothing spectacular and not even very beautiful, but I liked it!

Well, to be honest: we only spent 2 days there, but during this time we saw quite a bit -

so let me take you on a virtual tour of the town of Mr. Longyear

• Last visit to Longyearbyen: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2007

• Jan 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM

31Dec09 We strongly DO NOT RECOMMEND. We had a meal for NOK630 and when the bill came we were charged 630+609 for wine. We had not been told the wine was not included & we hadn’t drunken half of the wine. The waiters were rude, unapologetic & made us pay.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2008 at 7:34 AM

Hi Christine - you have done both, the most northern and most southern cities in the world. Greetz from Belgium

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Happy birthday, Christine, and thanks for posting this lovely page on Longyearbyen! Those must be really tough people to run in the northernmost marathon at 78° north.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 8:48 AM

A very interesting page about this Northern town. I lived not far from it in my childhood on a coast of the Barenz Sea (Severomorsk). Since those times I'm missing northern nature. Thanks Christine for bringing back memories about these severe places...

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Beautiful photos - you've captured the northern light so well. Fascinating account of a very different destination too. Oh, and they may be dangerous but I would so love to see a polar bear!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Amazing place: mining, polar bears and waffles! you show it all!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 4:11 AM

"Beware of Polar Bears" This would be a good sign for Berlin these days, wouldn't it?? As always, I love your pictures and your information.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 3:54 PM

We go to Germany and you go ... ;) Lovely page. Great cultural information.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 10:43 PM

Longyearbyen, didn't know where that was and sure would not have found my way around the museum. thanx tini, learned something today

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 10:21 AM

Another stunning page of yours. You have really been to some great northern locations. Well done ... :o)

tini58de

“It's only with the heart that one can see rightly ... (A. de St. Exupery)”

Badges & Stats in Longyearbyen

Have you been to Longyearbyen?

Latest Activity in Longyearbyen