Antarctica Packing List Tips by tini58de
Antarctica What to Pack: 45 reviews and 39 photos
"Serious birdwatching" with John Chardine
Photo Equipment: Some binoculars come in really handy, especially if you are interested in bird watching or want to be the first one to see the first iceberg or whale or what have you....
Photo Equipment: Taking pictures is what you will do most of the time while in Antarctica, so be sure to bring loads of film with you!!!
100 ASA sensitivity should be enough, especially when you have lots of snow, bright icebergs and ideally blue sky!
Do not forget extra batteries and maybe even a second camera (just in case)....
A skylight filter for regular protection of the lens should do, a polarizing filter might be nice, but is not necessary.
I had a 35 - 200 zoom lens, which was nice both for landscapes as well as for wildlife close-ups.
And if you do digital photography be sure to bring loads of memory cards or an external hard drive with you!!!
Miscellaneous: Be sure to take along good sun protection and some sunglasses with a high UV filter. Especially, if you are lucky and you have good weather, you will appreciate both!
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It is cold in Antarctica, okay, but not all THAT cold, since you can only go there during the Antarctic SUMMER. We had 0ýC +/- 5ýC, so it was not that bad....
The onion principle is what really works - many layers on top of eachother - it worked fine for me!
Skiing underwear is nice, a fleece sweater, long sleeve T-shirts, warm socks, some thin gloves (so that you can keep them on while taking pictures), a cap or hat (boy, can it get windy there)........
Do not forget rain gear!!! Not only can the weather be bad, but also the zodiac tours to get you to the Antarctic mainland can be pretty rough and wet!
More Reviews (31)
- See All Life on board the Nordnorge
- See All Port Lockroy
- See All Wild Animals
- See All Arctowski Base
tini58de's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 35 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues