"Harlingen - oh, what a night....." Top 5 Page for this destination Harlingen by tini58de

Harlingen Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 91 photos

Almost heaven .....

Flashback:

In June 2004 I had an accident and ripped two ligaments on my right foot. That meant: much rest, leg up and hours and hours of TV zapping.... One of the few real exciting programs was a travel program about unusual hotels. They introduced three very unique hotels in the Netherlands, namely Harlingen in the Friesland province - a lighthouse (in the picture), a rescue boat and a harbor crane.

Yes, a harbor crane!

You read correctly: a harbor crane! I instantly told my husband and we decided that this was THE thing for us! I called there and we finally found a date 15 months later! That was 15 months of pleasant anticipation for us!!!

Moving forward:

September 2005 came and the date of our night in the harbor crane came closer! When we arrived in Harlingen on September 19 and set foot in the crane, it was more than in our wildest dreams!! Such a fantastic and special place! Read more about it in my accomodation tip!

We spent the whole day there enjoying the views, the fantastic interior, the possibility to move the crane 360° and of course to celebrate my husbands birthday!

• In a nutshell:unbelievable!!!
  • Last visit to Harlingen: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2005

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM

wow what a great hotel - we have only ever been to Harlingen to get a ferry to the islands

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

a unique opportunity...great place...musto to do!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 4:52 PM

This is one of the most interesting hotel tips I have ever seen here. What a great experience , I hope I will get to visit the Netherlands one of these days. Thanks for sharing this. Kat

• piersend's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Sounds Facinating!

• vpeter's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 12:23 AM

Wow, what a great hotel. I had never heard about it. Greetings from the Netherlands.

• airkarat's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2006 at 8:26 AM

We were in Harlingen in 2002 - glad to see a VTer got to experience this and share it with the rest of us! Did you see that also in Harlingen is a private one-room 'hotel' at the top of a lighthouse? Run by the same people I think... nice pics!

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2006 at 1:37 PM

The Crane Hotel - what an amazing idea! Very well written tip, too, and lovely pics. Thank you.

• sarakohen's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 8:07 AM

but dont they call this Private Room?

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 10:40 AM

Nice job. I now have an idea for our old crane! Except I don't think any amount of work would get it that nice.

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 9:37 PM

Just one word, "Awesome". Maybe one day I'll try the Crane Hotel. Cheers, Abu

tini58de

“It's only with the heart that one can see rightly ... (A. de St. Exupery)”

Badges & Stats in Harlingen

Have you been to Harlingen?