Riga Restaurant Tips by tini58de
Riga Restaurants: 187 reviews and 259 photos
On my husband's birthday we went to this restaurant. We always like to go to places that serve local food, and all the reviews that we had read about were full of praise for this place. It is in a cellar very near the Freedom Column. The food was delicious, life music was played and the value for money was excellent! While waiting for our food, we were served some of the famous Latvian dark bread with lard - boy, that was a perfect start to what was to come!!!
Favorite Dish: My husband had zander fillet and I had pork fillet with sauerkraut and the best mashed potatos ever!!! As an appetizer we had a delicious soup and a sort of diced meat salad, which was a surprise, since I did not remember ordering it, but it tasted good!
Address: Aspazijas bulvāris 20
Phone: (+371) 7 223252
Skyline Bar, Riga
This place is awesome: you have the most spectacular view over Riga, because the Skyline Bar is on the 26th floor of the Hotel Latvija. The Skyline Bar has different faces: if you go there in the afternoon, it is more like a panorama café, but in the evening it is a nightclub sort of place (please see my nightlife tip). The seats next to the windows are of course the most wanted ones and we were lucky to get the last available table, when we got there at 3.15 p.m. (The place opens at 3 p.m.!!!). Service is very friendly and the cocktails are delicious!
Address: 55 Elizabetes iela, Riga
Comparison: about average
Directions: the skyline bar is in the Hotel Latvija
Phone: +371 7772222
Bottled birch juice and yummy pastries
When visiting a country, we always try to taste the local specialities - and boy, did we enjoy that in Latvia as well:
the most unusual speciality was birch juice! We had heard about it in German TV and had asked our wonderful tour guide, if she could help us find some. Since the freshly made birch juice is only available in spring, we had to get it in a bottled version! Interesting taste!
Other specialities in Latvia are cabbage soup, sorrel soup, peas with bacon, definitely the dark rye bread, good beer and many more. Do have a look at the very interesting link below!
Oh, and you better like caraway seeds - it seemed to me that about every bread we tasted had some in it!!! (Luckily I love it!!!)
Directions: all over Latvia
the hot chocolate - yummy!
These small chocolate "boutiques" are out of this world!
There are three of them in Riga (and a couple more throughout Latvia):
right next to the Hotel Latvija (Elizabetes 55)
in the old city center (Tirgoņu iela 8)
at Bergs Bazaars (K. Barona iela 7/9-16)
Although this is a chain, you feel so very comfortable there. The interior is so cozy with dark wood panelling, dried cocoa fruits as decoration and the most wonderful pralinés you could possibly dream of.
And then their hot chocolate - nothing that you have ever tasted before! It is not the type of hot chocolate that you mix with two spoons full of cocoa powder and milk - no, it is pure dark chocolate melted and served in a small cup.
While I am writing this, my mouth starts watering again..... We went to two of their cafés and both were absolutely wonderful.
Be sure not to miss this when you are in Riga!
More Reviews (26)
- See All The Daugava River
- See All The House of Blackheads
- The Academy of Science
- See All Bus, tram and trolley routes
tini58de's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Baltic's"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Elounda Restaurants
- Thunder Bay Restaurants
- South Padre Island Restaurants
- Fajardo Restaurants
- San Lorenzo de El Escorial Restaurants
- Whitstable Restaurants
- Nissa Soca
- Limburg an der Lahn Restaurants
- Trinidad and Tobago Restaurants
- Waiheke Island Restaurants
- Åndalsnes Restaurants
- Freehold Restaurants
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 30 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Photos in RigaSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (109)
Latest Riga hotel reviews
- Balta Kaza
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 11, 2006
- Hotel Forums
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Radi Un Draugi
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Elizabetes Nams
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2010
- Albert Hotel
- 291 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Hotel Enkurs
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Elizabete Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 6, 2013
- Reval Hotel Ridzene
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Hotel Garden Palace
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Toss Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2013
- Barons Bed & Breakfast Riga
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Dodo Hotel
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Paradise Hotel & Hostel Riga
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2006
- St. Peter's Church- 57 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Central Market- 22 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Old Town- 47 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Freedom Monument- 46 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia- 26 Reviews, 49 Photos
- House of Blackheads- 37 Reviews, 75 Photos
- Dome Cathedral- 33 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Orthodox Cathedral- 18 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Three Brothers- 17 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Powder Tower- 23 Reviews, 33 Photos
See All Riga Things to Do