"Svalbard - or - Spitzbergen" Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard by tini58de

Svalbard Travel Guide: 385 reviews and 1,007 photos

Before I went on this trip I had never heard of Svalbard before - now I know better!

Svalbard is the official name of the archipelago that in former times was called Spitsbergen. Now it is preferred to use Svalbard and only refer to the main island as Spitsbergen

We came to Spitsbergen on the "Professor Molchanov", a wonderful little cruise ship and before ending the trip in Longyearbyen we had seen a little of the West Coast of Spitsbergen. Not the best of weather, but a great experience!

After disembarking we stayed in Longyearbyen for an additional 2 1/2 days, exploring both the "capital" of Spitsbergen as well as going on a daytrip to Barentsburg, the only remaining Russian settlement on Svalbard.

What a beautiful place to visit -
I do hope I will be able to go back there one day!

This page is an overview, so you might recognize some of the tips from the detail pages of Longyearbyen and Barentsburg.
I did this just in case that somebody only visits one of the Svalbard pages!
I hope you don't mind!

• Last visit to Svalbard: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 17, 2006

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 4:40 AM

I clicked on your profile page then looked at your travel pages. Now I'm finding lots of bits of Europe I did not know existed. Irene

• tini58de's Profile Photo
      Feb 23, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Thanks for browsing through my pages, Irene - I do hope you enjoy them!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Maybe I'll soon be on a cruiseship again and see this wonderfull place! Thank you for this fantastic page!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 5:37 AM

what a lovely scenery, Christine, thanks for sharing ! Es ist immer wieder schön diese Bilder zu sehen, und irgendwann mache ich auch mal so eine Kreuzfahrt als passagier ! Ich wünsche Dir auch alles Gute & einen guten Rutsch ins neue jahr !!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 2:37 AM

Fabulous page with brilliant photos. I am glad that I wasn't the guy who had to share the room with you three ladies at the Guesthouse 102 .. *winkygrin*

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 9:05 PM

ich komm spaeter wieder is mir zu kalt :-(

• camilo74's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2006 at 7:56 AM

Interesting place, necer heard of it , Well, hope you are ok , greetings ;)

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 6:04 PM

you do such a good job Christine like your thanks for the visit beautiful photo of colorful Longyearbyen

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 11:15 PM

A visit in summer and snow and ice on every corner. And polar bears all over the place. It's definitely a place I'm not going to visit. But an interesting page anyhow. VT makes it possible to visit places without taking the disadvantages ;o)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 2:35 PM

Yes, it does look pointy, doesn't it? Nice refreshing new page here. -- Six so far for the meeting, good! I've never met JessH or christine.j in person, have you?

• Madschick's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Great overview - thanks for sharing!

tini58de

“It's only with the heart that one can see rightly ... (A. de St. Exupery)”

Badges & Stats in Svalbard

Have you been to Svalbard?