Jan Mayen Favorite Tips by tini58de
Jan Mayen Favorites: 5 reviews and 5 photos
Detail of the old Hollanderhaugen Cross
Favorite thing: The early history of Jan Mayen is a little obscure - maybe an Irish monk who was a good sailor has been near the island as early as in the 6th century A.D. and Vikings are also believed to have known this island.
The island was named after a Dutchman who in 1614 visited the island: Jan Jacobs May van Schellinkhout.
Jan Mayen was a whaling center for both Dutch and English whalers.
For more information on the history, please do have a look at the "History" section of http://www.jan-mayen.no - it is really well written and very interesting!
Black and White
Favorite thing: When thinking of Jan Mayen "black and white" popps to my mind:
the black is for the lava sands, since Jan Mayen is a volcanic island and the predominant color is black.
White is the snow and the glaciers that you can see even in summer -
and when we visited in June we had an impressive combination of both!
Favorite thing: Jan Mayen has been a center of whaling -
but that stopped in 1650!!! There is still evidence on Jan Mayen - the Hollenderhaugen at Kvalrossbukta - and it was here where I found those remains of what I believe are whale bones.
I am a strict opponent of whale hunting - I much rather like to do whale watching!
signpost on Jan Mayen
Favorite thing: There is a wonderful website about Jan Mayen with the most useful information on flora, fauna, history, meteorology, contact addresses and beautiful pictures.
Have a look here:
Favorite thing: It is truly amazing: this island seems to be so rough, but once you look closely you will find so many flowers and plants and mosses all around.
Once again I want you to have a look at the "Flora" section of the Jan Mayen website - there you will find a list of all registered plants on the island!
More Reviews (21)
- See All Mind the sun!
- Shoppers' paradise
- See All Changing weather conditions
- See All Hollenderhaugen
tini58de's Related Pages
Jan Mayen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Jan Mayen
- Hotels in Jan Mayen
- Transportation in Jan Mayen
- Restaurants in Jan Mayen
- Shopping in Jan Mayen
- Warnings and Dangers in Jan Mayen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Freie Hansestadt Bremen
- El Paso
- Corydon Hotels
- Lithonia Hotels
- West Deerfield Beach Hotels
- Great Budworth Hotels
Badges & Stats in Jan Mayen
- 26 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Jan Mayen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jan Mayen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
Top Jan Mayen hotels
- Jan Mayen Hotels
- 1 Review