Stockholm Local Custom Tips by tini58de
Stockholm Local Customs: 169 reviews and 168 photos
Now this is a custom that I really enjoyed a lot:
the weather was fine and we did enjoy the outside - and would have loved to sit outside in the cafés and restaurants: but it was still a little chilly despite the sunshine!
at many places we saw blankets that one could use when sitting outside - what a fabulous idea!!!
We arrived in Stockholm on the King's 60th birthday - so many of the European nobility were there to celebrate with him!
Next day - on our way to the trainstation to pick up sim1 - we were stopped by police and the reason was that one of the royal (or diplomatic) guests was approaching in a limousine, probably on their way to the airport to fly home again! Unfortunately we did not quite recognize who was in the car, but just the whole setup with the accompanying cars and policemen on motorcycles was quite impressive.
So we did not mind having to wait a little! Royaly comes first in Sweden!
The Swedish flag
The national colors of Sweden are blue and yellow and you can find these colors EVERYWHERE! Well, since we arrived on the King's 60th birthday it could have been the reason for so many flags, but funny enough (and there is a proof in the second picture here) even nature goes national!!!!
men can change diapers as well!
Just recently I saw a program on equal rights in Sweden here on German TV and I also read something in one of the official pamphlets:
parents in Sweden have the right to spend the first 240 days with their newborn child - and 48% of the men make use of this! And indeed, we did see quite a few fathers with their little ones in a buggy walking through town!
The funniest sign of this "equal right" was a sign on the men's toilet - a sign for parents and children (diaper change). Before I had always seen it only in the ladies' area!!!
On the other hand women take over in other areas as well, such as traditionally male professions like busdrivers or soldiers.
More Reviews (33)
- See All Steamboat to Drottningholm
- See All A Castle, a Theater and a Chinese Palace
- See All Kaffekoppen
- See All UNESCO World Heritage
tini58de's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Explore the World
- Romford Hotels
- Varenna Hotels
- San Miguel de Cozumel Hotels
- Swanage Hotels
- Lago del Predil
- Antigua Island
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 37 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
- Posted in Travel Hamburg Forum "Re: apartments hamburg"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Stockholm travel pages
- Wrote a Review Steamboat to Drottningholm about Boats in Stockholm Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Steamboat to Drottningholm"
- updated a Stockholm Travel Page "Stockholm - an alltime favourite!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Stockholm hotel reviews
- Welcome Hotel Barkarby
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Best Western Time Hotel
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Gustav Af Klint Hotel/Hostel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- A&B Hotell
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2010
- Hotell Zinkensdamm
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Skeppsholmen Hostel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Terminus
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Den Roda Baten (Red Boat)
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hilton Stockholm Slussen
- 668 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- 1218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Quality Hotel Nacka
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- City BackPackers Hostel
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Oden
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel Skeppsholmen
- 430 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Quality Hotel Globe
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Gamla Stan - The Old Town- 175 Reviews, 304 Photos
- Vasa Museum- 124 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Kungliga Slottet - Royal Palace- 102 Reviews, 177 Photos
- Stadshuset - City Hall- 106 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Skansen- 103 Reviews, 222 Photos
- Södermalm- 25 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Sightseeing Boat Tours- 27 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Riddarholmen- 33 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Gröna Lund- 27 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Drottningholm- 37 Reviews, 100 Photos
See All Stockholm Things to Do