Fair Isle Favorite Tips by tini58de
Fair Isle Favorites: 6 reviews and 6 photos
Recycling center of Fair Isle
Favorite thing: An island that is so small and so down to nature faces some rather worldly problems as well. I was quite amused at first when I saw the "recycling center" of Fair Isle, but thinking about it this is a very good and important measure!
For more information on this aspect you might want to have a look at this interesting article
One funny side aspect: the platform is sometimes "recycled" into a stage for open air concerts!!!
See that seal??
Favorite thing: Other than birds you might be able to see seals, orcas or other whales off Fair Isle - it is always a matter of a little luck!!!
If you go, I wish you just as much luck as we had, when we spotted some seals relaxing on the rocks....
Favorite thing: Birdwatching is the number one activity on Fair Isle. There is a Bird Observatory on the island and where you go you will find people with binoculars trying to spot one of the many different birds on the island.
So if you are interested in birds, this is the place for you to go!!!
Fair Isle impressions
Favorite thing: Just the other day VT member Daarth and I discussed whether it is possible to use a cell phone on Fair Isle or not. Well, we found out:
yes, it is possible to use a cell phone there, so it is not difficult to keep in touch with your loved ones....
Besides, there is a telephone booth on Fair Isle, but when we visited in June 2005, it was out of order....
Fair Isle flag
Favorite thing: Fair Isle is a tiny island between the Shetlands and the Orkneys, belonging to the Shetlands. It is only 5 km long and 3 km wide. Fair Isle is well known for its fabulous bird life, its knitware and the historic ship-wrecks.
Fondest memory: The friendly welcome in the town hall, my talk with the children from the local school and watching the puffins!
More Reviews (15)
tini58de's Related Pages
Fair Isle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fair Isle - More than a Knit Pattern"
- "Fair Isle - Britain's most remote inhabited island"
- "Fair Isle"
- "Fair Isle"
- "wow i flew to Fair Isle!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fair Isle
- Hotels in Fair Isle
- Transportation in Fair Isle
- Nightlife in Fair Isle
- Shopping in Fair Isle
- Warnings and Dangers in Fair Isle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fair Isle
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Fair Isle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fair Isle
- updated a Fair Isle Travel Page "Fair Isle - Britain's most remote inhabited island"
- Posted in Travel Karlsruhe Forum "Re: getting to the Baden Airpark ..."
- Commented on one of LHOON's Fair Isle travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fair Isle - Britain's most remote inhabited island"
- Wrote a Review Little discoveries in Fair Isle Things to Do
Photos in Fair IsleSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues