Marrakesh Things to Do Tips by tini58de
Marrakesh Things to Do: 714 reviews and 1,645 photos
souvenirs in the Atlas mountains
If you have a little spare time, do try to go out of Marrakesh into the Atlas mountains. There are various options: Ourika valley is one, or - as we did - go to Ouarzazate, which leads you all the way across the Atlas mountains, passing the Tichka pass and down again to the street of Kasbahs.
On our way to Ouarzazate we visited Ait ben Haddou - a Kasbah that has been named Unesco World Heritage site - and that is for a good reason! I had been fascinated by this place some twenty years ago and this fascination has not changed after all this time!
The medina is the old part of Marrakesh with narrow streets and pittoresque squares and sites! Unfortunately we did not have so much time - I would love to return one day to get a better feel for this part of the town!
The suuq of Marrakesh is awesome!
Actually it should be the suuqs, because there are so many different neighborhoods there: the suuq of tanners, the suuq of metalworkers, the suuq of leather workers etc. It is not like a marketplace, but rather like a little village in itself!
And boy, can you get lost there....
I have gotten advice to take a guide from some people, others said: no, no need - well, we went on a guided tour through Marrakesh (including the suuqs) with a group and later went by ourselves.......
view towards the Koutoubia mosque
The Menara gardens are very well known - they are WAY old - the water basin is from the 12th century!!!
When we visited in January, the gardens were not very exciting: a long alley with palm trees and olive trees and then the bassin and the setup for the "sound and light show"..... hmmmmmm, not too exciting!
Well, but it might be different at other times of the year, so this is just my very personal impression from a January visit!
Bahia palace courtyard
What a beautiful palace:
you will find everything you imagine about a palace from 1001 nights:
sunlit courtyards, beautiful gardens with wells and fountains, stucco, colorful windows, mosaics, beautifully painted woodworks and many hidden corners and rooms!
I loved every step of the visit there! Maybe the few photos I posted here will give you an idea!
Entrance fee: 20 DH = 2 € (2006)
The Saadian Tombs have been missing for hundreds of years and only been rediscovered a few years ago! There had been a wall built around it - since a graveyard could not be distroyed for ethical reasons!
The story around this place was the most fascinating part for me - the gravesite itself was not as spectacular as I had hoped it to be!
You get to see a graveyard and a couple of rooms with tombs in them.
Entrance fee is 10 DH = 1 € (2006)
Directions: in the old Medina
Well, you cannot go inside the mosque (see my local customs tip), but just the minaret of the Koutoubia mosque is a wonderful sight to see!
I have taken dozens of pictures just of this place - and I really love every one of them!
From most places in Marrakesh you can see the minaret - helpful and fascinating!
Djemaa el Fna
Djemaa el Fna is a UNESCO World Heritage site - not because of its architectural beauty, but because of the communicative and social aspects of this meeting place of people from all different cultures and languages.
Here you can find story tellers, snake charmers, acrobats, dancers and sellers, you can drink some freshly made orange juice, have your hands decorated with henna ornaments, enjoy some delicious food and drinks at one of the many food stalls or just linger around and observe all this!
It sure is breathtaking!
More Reviews (23)
- See All Zoom as Zoom can!
- See All No visits to Moroccan mosques....
- See All Hotel cuisine
- See All Beware of snake(charmer)s!
tini58de's Related Pages
Marrakesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakech"
- "Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!"
- "Red City of Marrakech"
- "A “break” in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakesh"
- "Marrakech - the Pink City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Hotels in Marrakesh
- Transportation in Marrakesh
- Nightlife in Marrakesh
- Restaurants in Marrakesh
- Shopping in Marrakesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh
- See All...
Explore the World
- Clonard Hotels
- Black River Village Hotels
- Carmona Hotels
- Magdalena de Kino Hotels
- San Antonio de Areco
- My Tho
Badges & Stats in Marrakesh
- 31 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Marrakesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marrakesh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Marrakesh hotel reviews
- Riad Chergui
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Riad Karmela
- 523 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Riad Noir d'Ivoire
- 553 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Residence Marrakech Palm Club
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2013
- Riyad Al Moussika
- 272 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Tropicana Hotel Club Paladien
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Les Jardins de La Koutoubia
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Riad et Dar Maison Do
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Riad Dar Zaman
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Riad Adika
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Riad Alamanda
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2011
- La Villa Nomade
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2012
- Riad Nejma Lounge
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Djamaa El Fna - Square- 128 Reviews, 258 Photos
- Majorelle Gardens- 45 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Souks- 43 Reviews, 104 Photos
- El Bahia Palace- 41 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Koutoubia Minaret & Koutoubia Gardens- 52 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Medina- 31 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Saadian Tombs- 37 Reviews, 81 Photos
- El Badi Palace- 24 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Mederssa Ben Youssef- 36 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Menara Gardens- 13 Reviews, 22 Photos
See All Marrakesh Things to Do