"Marseille - you either love it or hate it...." Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille by tini58de

Marseille Travel Guide: 781 reviews and 1,781 photos

... and we definitely loved it!!!

To tell you the truth, I was not sure if I would ever be able to love Marseille, the second largest city in France. A port. Huge and with a bad reputation…..

Well, to make things short: I did love it!!!

Within 5 months time we went there twice (November 2006 and March 2007) and I could even imagine returning a third time! The convenient part is that RYANAIR flies from Karlsruhe to Marseille and both times we left our home in rainy weather and we arrived in Marseille at 20°C, blue skies and sunshine! Just as we had dreamt it to be!

We had the perfect accomodation and a great host who gave us plenty of recommendations, which we enjoyed following! We climbed up to Notre Dame de la Garde and experienced a breathtaking panorama and sunset! We sat in a jazz bar and enjoyed the view of the old port and we followed the "red tour" through the Panier, the old part of Marseille.

We also did some hiking along the beautiful coastline of the Calenques - fighting the Mistral and enjoying every minute! A walk along the Corniche, a brocante (fleamarket) and the visit of a genuine boule factory were other highlights of just three days in this fascinating city! The second time we went there we returned to some of our favourite places, but also discovered new areas in Marseille, new sights and went on daytrips to Cassis and Aix-en-Provence.

• Pros:Either you love it.....
  • Cons:.... or you hate it!
  • In a nutshell:We loved it!!!
  • Last visit to Marseille: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Tini, happy new year 2013 to you and your hubby. - Fabulous updates on your excellent Marseille page. Your accommodation really seems to be a great find. - I haven't visited Marseille yet; the only thing I know about the town is that the local football club Olympique Marseille has lost in the Europa League aginst Borussia Moenchengladbach.

• ines2003's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2011 at 3:59 AM

nice memories and practice guide, bye

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

The baroque architectural style stands out in these buildings you so nicely got pictures of

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Thanks for sharing valuable info about Marseilles. I'll use it during my mediterranean cruise in April. We will be in Marseilles overnight and we'll see if we find this jazz bar ;o))

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Things brings back memories from when i used to live in Marseille. Nice pictures from the Calanques (and i agree about ugly architecture)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Hallo, Christine! Vielen Dank! Ich lese Deine Seiten immer gern!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Which reminds me - I must revisit, great page, cheers, john.

• Sep 15, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Hi Christine.. Congratulations on your very informative and interesting Marseilles page! It's heartening to find someone who really takes the city to their heart. It really is a much-underrated place. All the best to you. Simon.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 12:11 AM

I always love your hotel tips. You always seem to be lucky and have nice hosts. Great page!

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 4:03 AM

Great page, Tini! Good description of the Mistral - wrote my diploma about a similar phenomenon

tini58de

“It's only with the heart that one can see rightly ... (A. de St. Exupery)”

Badges & Stats in Marseille

Have you been to Marseille?

Latest Activity in Marseille