Nancy Local Custom Tips by tini58de Top 5 Page for this destination
Nancy Local Customs: 9 reviews and 13 photos
Coming from Germany I know how difficult it is to change from your native currency to the European currency EURO, but well, quite a few countries had to get used to that! I found it quite amusing, though, to see how much the French still stick to their former Franc:
we did see the most obscure price tags, like 3,27 € - something that must convert into 10 FF or 13,88 € (which once was probably around 40 FF) instead of the usual 4,99 € or 20 € or so!
The funniest thing that struck me was the way that parking meters were "converted" into Euro measures: since there were no odd money measures possible, they did it the other way around and charged an even amount of Euro for a very specific amount of time: 30 cents for 29 minutes or 1,50 € for 1 h 56 minutes!!!
There is a system to the French license plates:
to find out where the car was registered you have to look at the last two digits of the license plate. They correspond with the first two digits of the zip (postal) code of the area where the car is from. In Nancy for instance you will mostly find cars with a 54 as the last two numbers on the license plate, since the postal code of Nancy is 54000. The Alsace has 67, further south you find the 68 and so on - it is fun to track down the origins of the cars this way!
People in Nancy seem to like dogs - and people!!! We did see quite a bit of evidence that dogs are cherished - they even have their own walking lanes!!! I have never seen anything like that before!
On the other hand people are being protected from dog poop - you find boxes with plastic bags (so called canisacs) all over the place! Very useful for dog poop disposal! I do not know if there is a fine for not removing your dog's "leftovers", but I could very well imagine that there is!
And hey, doesn't that little doggie look cute?
More Reviews (33)
- See All The Cathedral
- See All Nancy quarters: Ville-Neuve
- See All Cafés on Place Stanislas
- See All Never on Mondays
tini58de's Related Pages
Nancy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nancy - UNESCO site and cradle of Art Nouveau"
- "Nancy La Belle"
- "WELCOME TO MY NANCY PAGE ......:-)"
- "Art Nouveau"
- "vividvivian's new Nancy Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nancy
- Hotels in Nancy
- Transportation in Nancy
- Nightlife in Nancy
- Restaurants in Nancy
- Shopping in Nancy
- Warnings and Dangers in Nancy
- See All...
Explore the World
- Repaupo Hotels
- Berwick-Upon-Tweed Hotels
- Tacama Hotels
- Maras Hotels
- Hintersteiner See
- Bad Krozingen
Badges & Stats in Nancy
- 36 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Nancy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nancy
Photos in NancySee All Photos (149)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 76 reviews, 154 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nancy Intro, 36 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 37 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 35 reviews, 118 photos
- Krakow Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Càgliari Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Nancy hotel reviews
- Mercure Centre Stanislas
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel des Prelats
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel Les Portes D'Or
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 19, 2013
- Cd Grand Hotel De La Reine
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Crystal
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Ibis Nancy Centre Gare
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Etap Hotel Nancy Centre
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel All Seasons Nancy Centre Gare
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013