"Spain..." Spain by DanielF

Spain Travel Guide: 54,408 reviews and 142,067 photos

...or Espanya, España, Espainia

The Iberian peninsula and, in particular its portion under Spanish rule, is one of the corners of the world I know better. Of course, it helps that I have lived in several of its cities during different periods of my life. And it also helps that, during those periods, I have enjoyed the company of great friends whose appetite for exploring remote sierras, forgotten towns, busy cities and touristy islands was as big as mine.

The main reasons that now draw me to visit Spain regularly are related to my personal life rather than to tourist ventures, but even if I can claim that I have already explored the practical totality of the territory, every time I am there I still find something new to gawp at. For Spain is not only a very varied piece of Europe, but it is also a place in constant mutation. In spite of the persistance of a few old traditions (to which part of the population still cling to reinforce their - mostly regional - identity), the Spain I knew in my childhood has very little in common with the place it has evolved to in the last three decades. Many things have been lost in the process, for sure. Someone might even argue that the thrill is gone forever. As far as I am concerned, though, the final result of that vertiginous process has not but intensified that thrill.

• Pros:A mix of the old and the new. A very long history, but a feeling that a new society is being formed
  • Cons:Football obsession. Noise & Construction everywhere. The fact that newspapers still put bullfighting news on the arts or culture section
  • In a nutshell:Perennial mutation vs. immutable traditions
  • Intro Updated Aug 25, 2008

• Dec 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM

I liked your local custom tip and loved what you said about bull fighting, though there are still a lot of older people who like it. It's in the younger people that the supporters are a minority. At least the future looks brighter!

• hgchuy's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2005 at 5:51 AM

La Puerta de Alcalá is my favorite monument in Madrid.

• La_Holandesa's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 4:14 PM

Olaaa, I like the Mediterranean Spain Costas too! Great Spain page and i love to go to the north. Happy travels Daniel! Manyy greetz Anita

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2005 at 6:05 PM

I've always enjoyed my travels to this wonderful country. Someday soon I hope I can start exploring more still. Until then, it's Israel and......;-)))

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 1:25 AM

Nice overview and some great pics.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 7:15 AM

Daniel, it is a pleasure to browse through your Spanish pages. You have done a fantastic work!! Trying to decide my next destination in Spain: Andalucia or Asturias+Cantabria+Pais Basco. So different, yet all so beautiful.

• Jul 6, 2003 at 4:18 PM

Perhaps your Spain page is not on the top 5 tip makers, but u have the better page that i see here.... Un trabajo excepcional

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 9:31 AM

As they say in California...EUREKA!! Another excellent page on Spain!!! I've only seen the incredible picture of the windmills so far (a la Cervantes' Quixote memories) but I see you have pages of information! Looks like I'll virtually stay awhile! ;->

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2003 at 4:43 AM

Ya te dije, que tus paginas de España son bestiales!!! Las mejores de verdad!

• A2002's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2002 at 12:33 PM

I enjoyed your "photo tour". Thank you... :-)

DanielF Used To Live Here!

DanielF