"Spain..." Spain by DanielF
Spain Travel Guide: 54,267 reviews and 141,357 photos
The Iberian peninsula and, in particular its portion under Spanish rule, is one of the corners of the world I know better. Of course, it helps that I have lived in several of its cities during different periods of my life. And it also helps that, during those periods, I have enjoyed the company of great friends whose appetite for exploring remote sierras, forgotten towns, busy cities and touristy islands was as big as mine.
The main reasons that now draw me to visit Spain regularly are related to my personal life rather than to tourist ventures, but even if I can claim that I have already explored the practical totality of the territory, every time I am there I still find something new to gawp at. For Spain is not only a very varied piece of Europe, but it is also a place in constant mutation. In spite of the persistance of a few old traditions (to which part of the population still cling to reinforce their - mostly regional - identity), the Spain I knew in my childhood has very little in common with the place it has evolved to in the last three decades. Many things have been lost in the process, for sure. Someone might even argue that the thrill is gone forever. As far as I am concerned, though, the final result of that vertiginous process has not but intensified that thrill.
- Pros:A mix of the old and the new. A very long history, but a feeling that a new society is being formed
- Cons:Football obsession. Noise & Construction everywhere. The fact that newspapers still put bullfighting news on the arts or culture section
- In a nutshell:Perennial mutation vs. immutable traditions
Jamon Ibérico — or Iberian ham — is the flagship of the heavenly products from the locally grown Iberian pigs. Too bad... more travel advice
Of all these mountains, the tallest and most majestic is actually a vulcano, the Teide, with a perfect cone and sleeping... more travel advice
- See All Fast Fashion in Spain
- See All Teruel
- See All Pilgrims walk, ride a horse... or a bike
- See All Not only for business travels
DanielF's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 1,261 Reviews
- 3,042 Photos
- 42 Forum posts
- 43 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 172 reviews, 749 photos, 7 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 150 reviews, 554 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 100 reviews, 441 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 75 reviews, 306 photos, 6 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 180 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos, 9 travelogues