"Mechlin" Mechelen by DanielF
Mechelen Travel Guide: 285 reviews and 676 photos
For some odd reason, Mechlin has opted for many years to keep away from the main tourist routes and few people are interested to come here or have even heard of it. And not because there is nothing to see there (it has been the political capital of the Netherlands for a short period as well as its religious capital for many centuries, and that pays off in terms of a tremendous wealth in art and sights). Neither because reaching the city requires a colossal effort (it is really close to and perfectly communicated with the two Belgian metropolises, Brussels and Antwerp).
Maybe the city was simply turned towards other interests rather than receiving guests. Not many years ago, during my first visit, a certain lack of civic pride was perceptible - the magnificent Market Square was used as a car park, the commercial activity left to be desired, streets were almost deserted... It felt like the city had been overcome by a suburbialisation process by its two bigger sisters.
In the last years, however, a big effort seems to have been done and now the city looks much brighter and more quaint than ever, walker-friendlier and picturesque enough not to forget about it when planning a vacation in Belgium.
- Pros:Accessible, Historical, Calm
The so-called Groen Waterke is a remain of the numerous little canals that centuries ago criss-crossed the city of... more travel advice
Hiëronymus van Busleyden was an aristocrat with sound legal knowledge who became a counselor of the Great Council of... more travel advice
DanielF's Related Pages
Mechelen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mechelen, where an emperor was raised"
- "Where two Margarets once ruled"
- "Did you missed it? what happened?"
- "Mechelen - Religious capital of Belgium"
- "Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers"
- "VT meeting - Part I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechelen
- Hotels in Mechelen
- Transportation in Mechelen
- Nightlife in Mechelen
- Restaurants in Mechelen
- Shopping in Mechelen
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechelen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mechelen
- 20 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Mechelen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechelen
Photos in MechelenSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 172 reviews, 749 photos, 7 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 150 reviews, 554 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 100 reviews, 441 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 75 reviews, 306 photos, 6 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 180 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos, 9 travelogues
Latest Mechelen hotel reviews
- Hotel Carolus
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- NH Mechelen
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Hotel Hobbit
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Gulden Anker
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Novotel Mechelen Centrum
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013