"Mons" Mons by DanielF
Mons Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 416 photos
Mons is the capital of the Hainaut province and one of the main cities in Wallonia. According to legend, the city was born around a monastery founded by a local Saint (Sainte Waudru). It became later the residence of the Counts of Hainaut, who erected a castle on top of the hill where its famous belfry now stands. For many, it is known particularly for being the seat of the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers in Europe, the commandment centre of the NATO forces in Europe.
Located just 50 km southwest of Brussels (and 200 from Paris or just 10 from the French border), Mons is an easy alternative to the well beaten destinations in Belgium.
Mons is a pleasant city with an impressive market place and a beautiful historic area where it strolling on its cobbled streets is delightful. Well, this description matches to many middle sized European cities, so I will leave you the task to discover by yourself what the city has of unique.
Not far from the Grand Place, you can visit the Church of Saint Elisabeth. In fact, its steeple is visible fromthe Place... more travel advice
The area surrounding the Belfry is one of the quaintest parts of Mons. Most of the buildings are ancient or... more travel advice
DanielF's Related Pages
Mons Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enjoy to stroll around"
- "Mons and the Doudou"
- "Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!"
- "A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities"
- "MON'S - WELL WORTH A STOP!"
- "MONS (Bergen in Dutch)"
- "Mons, the heart of my student life ;-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mons
- Hotels in Mons
- Transportation in Mons
- Nightlife in Mons
- Restaurants in Mons
- Shopping in Mons
- Warnings and Dangers in Mons
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mons
- 14 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Mons?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mons
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 172 reviews, 749 photos, 7 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 150 reviews, 554 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 100 reviews, 441 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 75 reviews, 306 photos, 6 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 180 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos, 9 travelogues