"Albarracín" Albarracín by DanielF
Albarracín Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 66 photos
Located in the heart of the Universal Mounts and perched in an exercise of difficult equilibrium on the verge of a deep gorge, Albarrac?n is one of those places where it seems that time has stopped. Its picturesque buildings are gathered in a chaotic way, merging perfectly into the environment.
Albarracin lived its moment of glory in the Middle Ages, when it was even for some years the capital of an independent Moorish kingdom. It is from those times that the town got its name, for his founder or main ruler was an Arab called Ibn-Razin.
The influence of Albarracín continued after it became part of the Kingdom of Aragón, but it slowly started a process of decadence for the benefit of neighbouring Teruel.
Those days are long by and Albarracín lives now of memories. Its remote location and the lack of good communications resulted in many people leaving the town for a better life. Nowadays, life is comfortable in Albarracín and the town seems to be well off thanks to the many tourists that visit it every holidays.
- Pros:Incredibly peaceful during the weekdays.
- Cons:It can get very crowded during the weekend.
- In a nutshell:An ancient Arab town lost in time.
The Julianeta house is one of the most characteristic in Albarracín. It is located at the confluence of two streets that... more travel advice
Many houses are decorated with beautiful wooden balconies. They are sometimes some close to the opposite side of the... more travel advice
DanielF's Related Pages
Albarracín Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spain's Best Kept Secret! ssshhhh!"
- "Rose coloured Spanish Town"
- "A history-packed mountain village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albarracín
- Hotels in Albarracín
- Transportation in Albarracín
- Restaurants in Albarracín
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albarracín
- 23 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Albarracín?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albarracín
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 172 reviews, 749 photos, 7 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 150 reviews, 554 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 100 reviews, 441 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 75 reviews, 306 photos, 6 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 180 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos, 9 travelogues