"Peñíscola: the town of Pope Luna" Peñíscola by DanielF
Peñíscola Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 204 photos
Along with Rome and Avignon, Peñíscola holds the honour to have been one of the three cities that have been the seat of Saint Peter's successor on Earth.
The XIII and XIV centuries was a turbulent periode in the history of the church, which was marked by the schism of Occident and the two papal seats of Rome and Avignon. Things got even more complicated when a third candidate, Benedict XIII, disagreed how things were being solved to unify the Catholic church and went to Peñíscola, where he was proclaimed Pope. It is only after his death that the schism of '''occident can be considered closed.
Today Peñíscola is a small town that lives on the tourism. The well preserved streets of the old town and the splendid beaches in the area, as well as the last virgin coastal strecht in the Valencian Community (Natural Park Serra d'Irta) are real magnets for tourists from all over Europe.
Peñíscola is situated in the North of the Valencian Community, close to Catalonia. If you do not have a car, the best... more travel advice
This is an aspect of one of the narrow streets that you can find in the old town. more travel advice
DanielF's Related Pages
Peñíscola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Umfufu in Peñiscola"
- "City of the Pope who became Antipope!"
- "Peñiscola the Magnificent"
- "Beach and little castle (but with long history)"
- "Peñíscola: the town of Pope Luna"
- "the third pope city ,after roma and avignon!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peñíscola
- Hotels in Peñíscola
- Transportation in Peñíscola
- Restaurants in Peñíscola
- Warnings and Dangers in Peñíscola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peñíscola
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Peñíscola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peñíscola
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 172 reviews, 749 photos, 7 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 150 reviews, 554 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 100 reviews, 441 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 75 reviews, 306 photos, 6 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 180 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos, 9 travelogues