"Reims, Champagne" Reims by DanielF
Reims Travel Guide: 324 reviews and 1,024 photos
Reims, the peaceful capital of the Champagne region, has played an important and symbolic role in the history of France. Its glorious cathedral of Our Lady, a masterwork of Gothic Art, was the place were the kings of France were crowned for over 1000 years in memory of the baptism of Clovis, the first Frank king, by Saint Rémi.
The city and the cathedral itself were seriously damaged during World War I. The cathedral was rebuilt afterwards (the works finished in 1938), but many art treasures were lost forever, among them most of the wonderful stained-glass windows. Also the whole area was disappeared and very few old buildings remain. The city has been rebuilt in a typically French style and looks like a quite place with fine buildings and a very provincial atmosphere.
Reims has ca. 200.000 inhabitants and, apart from its Cathedral, is famous in the world for being the capital of the Champagne region, the land where the king of wines is produced. You can visit several cellars in the city and its surroundings and there is even a tourist route of the Champagne wine, where you will be able to discover the small villages, the vineyards and the mild landscapes where this delicious wine is produced.
I don't know any top hotel in Reims, so if you are not willing to give up top luxus and comfort, you better stay in your... more travel advice
The city is full of wine cellars and shops. Here Champagne wine is a religion. Prices are high, but it is one of... more travel advice
DanielF's Related Pages
Reims Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Journey to Reims"
- "A pompous gothic cathedral and more ...."
- "WELCOME TO MY REIMS PAGE......:-)"
- "Reims : city of the kings"
- "Reims-city of champagne"
- "Reims - Champagne and Monuments"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reims
- Hotels in Reims
- Transportation in Reims
- Restaurants in Reims
- Shopping in Reims
- Warnings and Dangers in Reims
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reims
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Reims?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reims
Photos in ReimsSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 172 reviews, 749 photos, 7 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 150 reviews, 554 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 100 reviews, 441 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 75 reviews, 306 photos, 6 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 180 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos, 9 travelogues