"Tongli - An Old Canal Town in Wujiang" Top 5 Page for this destination Tongli by yeikloen
Tongli Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 228 photos
Tongli in Jiangsu Province is one of the many ancient water towns in the south of the Yangtze River Delta, which are famous for their rivers, ancient bridges and house complexes. Tongli occupies an area of 51 square miles (133 square kilometers) with a population of 55,000. The city is separated by 15 rivers into seven islets, which are connected through 49 ancient bridges.
Tongli, established in the Song Dynasty, has a history of over 1,000 years. It is very rich in cultural heritage. Traditional residences including gardens, houses and temples, built in the Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty, are the highlight of the city. Jiayin Hall built in 1922 is known for its fine carvings on the structure. Congben Hall built in 1911 is also known for its carvings on the structure. There are more than one hundred of well-preserved woodcarvings of traditional figures from Chinese classics.
Bridges are an important part of the city. The most famous bridges among the 49 bridges in Tongli are the three bridges named Taiping (peace), Jili (luck) and Changqing (celebration) bridges. The three bridges have now become the symbol of the city. Whenever there is an important occasion, such as a wedding, people will walk through the three bridges to wish peace, fortune, happiness and health in their lives.
There are also many traditional gardens in Tongli. Tuisi Garden is a classic of traditional Chinese gardens, which was constructed between 1885 and 1887 by Ren Langsheng, who was once an imperial scholar. The pavilions, terraces, halls, rockeries, ponds and other elements of the garden were harmoniously integrated together.
- Pros:Great place to hang out
- Cons:Can't Think Of Any
- In a nutshell:A great place to see an ancient chinese town
This whole street sell souvenirs of all kind with some local food dishes. There is also a hotel located on this... more travel advice
I have to admit that this is the best hotel I stayed in throughout my trip in China. This was a clan house with about 10... more travel advice
Written Apr 5, 2004
My Favourite Hotel In China
Written Apr 5, 2004
Tongli The Venice Of The East
yeikloen's Related Pages
Tongli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tremendous Tongli"
- "Venice of the Orient"
- "Tongli - An Old Canal Town in Wujiang"
- "Tongli - Quieter Watertown than Zhouzhuang"
- "Tongli Watertown"
- "tongli, a little more aged and natural"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tongli
- Hotels in Tongli
- Transportation in Tongli
- Restaurants in Tongli
- Shopping in Tongli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tongli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tongli
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Tongli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tongli
Photos in TongliSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 3 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rumah Mulu Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nanjing Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongli Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 18 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue