"Aloha From Hawaii in 2003!" CareyOn2002's Profile

We sadly announce the passing, after a long illness, of VT member Cary AKA Careyon2002. The text below is from his dear friend Patty (Hexepatty); Patty also provided the attached photos.

Carey passed away today... it wasn't a happy day for me, but it is one that I certainly expected as he had been ill since Thanksgiving day...

We met 10 years ago in Honolulu. He was my student at a community college at the time. He was older than me and we had so many similarities, we struck up an interesting student / teacher relationship that ended up becoming one of the best friendships I could have ever asked for.

These have been tough times for me, particularly the last few months and weeks. With him finally passing I'm trying to find the joy in memories to keep me laughing instead of crying. He had met many a VT'r over the years and Shohman/Scott reminded me of my favorite Carey Story that I feel compelled to share. It just makes me smile and laugh!

Back in 2000, Air France made an air fare error. We were able to book a flight from Honolulu to Paris for $200. I booked my travel to Paris and flew on to Barcelona. Carey booked his to Paris and took a train to Amsterdam. Unfortunately Carey got off at the wrong stop and ended up in Brussels. Fortunately Carey didn't realize it. For 24 hours!

He found his hotel (similar name) that took him in.. he exchanged money and didn't know it wasn't in Gilders... he had a great time but couldn't for the life him find the infamous "coffee houses." Finally he asked the hotel owner where were the clubs, the coffee houses, the red light district. He finally realized he got off the train a few stops early! Carey simply re-packed got on the train and got off at the right destination. I just loved hearing him tell that story and he just loved me interrupting him with: "What about the language?" ... "What about the money?" "what about... this/ that..." and he would just say, "I didn't know!"

That's my Carey. The story got better... he met some N African chaps that loved his hiking boots and told him "Those are the kind the dogs can't sniff through."

The kids cut into his shoes, put hash in them and off Carey was for a return bus ride to Paris.

Somewhere in Belgium the cops boarded the bus along w/ dogs.

He found out first hand that those N African kids were correct. Other kids got kicked off the bus and were arrested. Carey - sweating profusely and trying to sink to the floor - was not hassled or detected.

His stories ALWAYS amazed me... I'll miss his crazy way through this word.

One final story I will share with you about my friend Carey. He used to love flying with me in Honolulu. (Back when I kept current and flew cessna's for fun around Oahu...) He probably took about 10 flights with me or so... I loved him as he was always calm and didn't mind me doing my pilot thing.

One time I had an emergency landing with him. We both smelled smoke and had problems speaking through our headsets. Eventually we lost our communications completely. I went on to land at the airport, a little fast, as I had lost my electricity and couldn't get my flaps down, but I got us down fine.

When we touched down, we finally were able to talk & hear one another. I said to him, "that wasn't too bad. I didn't freak out or panic... neither did you Carey. You were so calm and cool and collected." He said he didn't need to talk outloud to pray like hell!

The best part was after we landed, all these firemen came in uniforms. And because I had to land at a military airport for the emergency, a whole unit of US Coast Guard personnel came out to "greet" us as well. (This was right after 9/11 and it was an unexpected landing...) We had to remain with the Coast Guard personnel for 2 hours until my FBO came to pick me up in another plane. These guys were gorgeous and very nice. And in uniforms.

Carey and I actually - for a brief moment - shared that if I had crashed, and this was heaven... we could deal with this.

Well, my beloved friend & brother, I hope you have all this and more where ever your last journey has taken you.

I miss you, friend!

• Intro Updated May 10, 2007

Personal Pages (1)

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I went to India, Carey, during your birthday. I hope you were standing on my shoulders while I was there. Interesting place! MISS YOU!

• cosmopolit's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2007 at 2:51 PM

What lovely memories of life's stories. Well, before long we'll catch up on his present endeavors.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2007 at 1:22 AM

sounds like he was a wonderful guy and great friend who will be sadly missed. rest in peace

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Never knew Cary, but he sounds like a classic "make lemonade when life hands him lemons" kind of guy. Rest in peace.

• Faustinah's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 10:38 PM

The Path and the Goal are One! Your journeys shall surly continue. Keep an eye on us if you're not too busy.

• alycat's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Cant get any calmer there...peace!

• Johnny_CA's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 9:31 PM

my brotha, thank you for friendship and sharing your home with me when i visited. the pimp daddy body detergent sits on my bathroom medicine cabinet, reminding me of the aloha spirit. much peace in your new home.

• nikaloo35's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 6:56 PM

All my love to you Carey. Sinceres condoleances to all family and friends

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Sincerest condolences to you all...

• KarenZ's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Rest in Peace dear Carey...God be with you and your family on these moments........

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
CareyOn2002's Profile Photo

CareyOn2002

“CareyOn!”

Ranked Member
Real Name
Carey
Location
Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)
Member Since