"BuickMackane's South Hackensack, NJ Page" South Hackensack by BuickMackane
South Hackensack Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 4 photos
I lived most of my life in Hackensack, New Jersey. South Hackensack is the town which borders it. The town is technically in two locations, and by the same token, it has two distinctly different personalities. Off the highway is an enclave of old-fashioned Italian-Americans who believe South Hackensack is still a good place for families. But for tourists, all you're likely to see is one part of South Hackensack, a very dingy strip of highway called US Route 46 which passes Teterboro Airport and leads to the George Washington Bridge to New York City. It comprises go-go bars, fast-food places and rundown old motels best known for drug raids, armed hostage standoffs, welfare housing and prostitution.
In order to fairly present all sides of this story, I had an intriguing conversation about the Route 46 motels with my brother. Despite everything you will read on this page about South Hackensack, my brother absolutely insisted he would stay there on his next visit, even though he could get a better online deal at the nearby Hilton. He said, "Everything I need is right there. I don't mind the price of the room. The Plaza 46 Diner is next door, and so is the Greek restaurant and the Japanese place, plus those two bars, the Flamingo and the Pleasure Lounge. Also, I can get a bus directly to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan right across the street."
On our own most recent visit to the Hackensack area, we found our host wasn't prepared for company, and he put me and my daughter up at the Congress Inn on Route 46. We later discovered that there was a new Super 8 further down the road. I was surprised at how much more expensive these places are nowadays, and also how friendly the front desk staff have become. The times, they are a-changin' in South Hackensack!
- Pros:Great Italian food
- Cons:There's a reason for the continuous police presence
- In a nutshell:Come for lunch, but don't stick around
South Hackensack is adjacent to Teterboro Airport (TEB) for smaller aircraft and a quick run down to Newark... more travel advice
There are plenty of run-down motels along Route 46, but they're not so cheap any more. Not even the new Super 8 Motel is... more travel advice
BuickMackane's Related Pages
South Hackensack Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BuickMackane's South Hackensack, NJ Page"
- Create a South Hackensack Travel Page
- Hotels in South Hackensack
- Transportation in South Hackensack
- Nightlife in South Hackensack
- Restaurants in South Hackensack
- Warnings and Dangers in South Hackensack
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Hackensack
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to South Hackensack?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Hackensack
Top 10 Pages
- Clarksdale Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Alexandria Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Hackensack Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Rockport Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Perry Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Deville Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Salem Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anaheim Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos