"Clarksdale, MS: Blues for the Whole Family!" Clarksdale by BuickMackane
Clarksdale Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 85 photos
My daughter Nathalie and I have spent three wonderful vacations this year in Clarksdale, Mississippi -- "The Crossroads" you've heard about in songs by Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin. We took lots of photos, met plenty of fascinating people, and learned a lot about the Delta Blues that shaped the music of today. It was a very educational experience that we can't wait to share with you!
For maximum enjoyment, come to this area with a very open mind and don't jump to any quick conclusions. At first glance, downtown Clarksdale is a place where you wouldn't normally expect to take the kids on vacation. Time seems to stand still here, as if someone stopped the clock around 1972 and forgot to turn it back on. The storefronts are rundown and dilapidated, and 30-year-old Buick and Cadillac sedans still prowl the one-way streets. A thick paste of shattered glass from countless decades of beer bottles glitters from the parking lots of graffiti-covered juke joints, and the bottlecaps are fashioned into folk art. Ancient electric guitars that would fetch thousands of dollars on eBay collectors' auctions are still in everyday use, their elderly owners seemingly unaware of the treasures cradled in their hands.
Blues purists make pilgrimages to Clarksdale from countries all over the world, most notably Scandinavia. They take maps of the Mississippi Delta region and spend their vacations driving countless miles up and down backroads past cotton plantations, shooting pictures of tombstones erected in memory of the legendary musicians hailing from the Delta. There are huge festivals held here in the summertime that attract music lovers by the thousands. Hence, Clarksdale has been dubbed "Ground Zero" for the Delta Blues scene.
By visiting Clarksdale in the off-season, Nathalie and I were able to probe beneath the surface and do plenty of research. We learned firsthand that this is one place where your entire family can listen to unbelievably good music and have a delightful time. There's no doubt in our minds that we will return to Clarksdale for another happy vacation as soon as possible, and we encourage you to do the same!
In case you are new to VT, there are links from this intro page containing much more info about Clarksdale, including photo travelogues -- be sure to click on them all! Please also visit my related VT page on the town of Rosedale, Mississippi, another integral part of the "Crossroads" legend. Thanks for dropping by!
- Pros:Music lovers from all over the world make pilgrimages to Clarksdale. It's 100% authentic and old-fashioned Delta Blues. Come see for yourself what all the commotion's about!
- Cons:Don't let the rundown buildings scare you away. The more dilapidated the exterior, the more likely you'll enjoy the music inside!
- In a nutshell:Get here quick before some rich developer turns Clarksdale into a theme park!
About 45 miles north of Clarksdale and 10 miles north of the actual town of Tunica is the town of Robinsonville, where... more travel advice
We had car trouble while in Clarksdale. We were trying to find the nearby town of Moon Lake (where two excellent... more travel advice
- It's easy to get to Clarksdale!
- See All Lunchtime Blues and More!
- Delta Blues Museum
BuickMackane's Related Pages
Clarksdale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Clarksdale, MS: Blues for the Whole Family!"
- ""Birthplace of the Blues""
- "My 26th Birthday Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Clarksdale
- Hotels in Clarksdale
- Transportation in Clarksdale
- Nightlife in Clarksdale
- Restaurants in Clarksdale
- Shopping in Clarksdale
- Warnings and Dangers in Clarksdale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clarksdale
- 19 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Clarksdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clarksdale
- updated a Clarksdale Travel Page "Clarksdale, MS: Blues for the Whole Family!"
- Posted in Travel Rockport Forum "RE: Where is the gazebo?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mr. Tater's Birthday Party at Club 2000"
- Wrote a Review There IS one reason to visit the Tunica casinos in Clarksdale Tourist Traps
- Commented on one of krizt's Clarksdale travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Clarksdale Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Alexandria Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Hackensack Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Rockport Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Perry Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Deville Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Salem Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anaheim Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos