"BuickMackane's New Orleans Page" New Orleans by BuickMackane
New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,212 reviews and 7,298 photos
Wow, in light of the devastation caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, this page looks absolutely archaic. Please join me and my little girl in prayer that New Orleans can somehow be restored to its former magnificence. We are both looking forward to the day when we can return to one of our favorite places in the entire world.
Below is the text of my original page as it appeared before Katrina and Rita pretty much destroyed the city. Sorry to say that a lot of this info won't really be applicable any more. Let's keep the faith, y'all...
My daughter Nathalie and I first visited New Orleans in mid-March 2002, when we traveled down from Massachusetts to visit family members who lived in Louisiana. We became so enchanted with the place that we decided to join in the fun and move to Louisiana ourselves in August 2003. Now New Orleans is just a car ride away -- yippee! Our most recent visits were during the summer of 2005, and it was just as wonderful as ever! Glad we got to see the city before the hurricanes!
We're delighted to have this opportunity to share our adventures with you here on VT! Here's Nathalie at St. Louis Cemetery #3; you'll find she's quite an enthusiastic little tourguide. Don't miss the links below to more of our New Orleans travelogues. You gave us such wonderful feedback when this page was first created that we decided to keep adding more photos; thanks so much!
Don't miss my other Louisiana pages on VT for Alexandria, Pineville, Marksville, Deville and Sorrento, LA in addition to New Orleans.
UPDATE: Music lovers will also want to check out our recent Delta Blues adventure on my new Clarksdale, Mississippi page!
Nathalie and I combed the French Quarter on our visits. We did all the mandatory tourist stuff, but nevertheless managed to look past the obvious enough to have a unique New Orleans experience tailor-made for us. Be sure to browse all five of our travelogue pages!
As far as Nathalie is concerned, no visit to New Orleans is complete without a visit to her favorite Bourbon Street character. Here's a link to the livecam from www.tropicalisle.com showing the very center of the action, Bourbon Street in front of the Tropical Isle bar. Keep your eyes open for "Mr. Hand Grenade Man" and the Lucky Dog stand at night!
- Pros:There's something for everyone
- Cons:You can't do it all in just one trip
- In a nutshell:God bless New Orleans--we'll be back someday!
Check out this cool VW Beetle we found parked between Cafe du Monde and the French Market! more travel advice
A 24-hour truckstop style diner might seem out of place in the French Quarter, but it was a pleasant respite for me and... more travel advice
- Football Madness!
- The French Market RULES!
- This section was a real...
- Alcohol: Caveat Emptor ("Let the buyer...
- Frankly, tourists are...
BuickMackane's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 19 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
- Posted in Travel Saint Thomas Forum "Re: One Night Stopover Hotel"
- updated a New Orleans Travel Page "BuickMackane's New Orleans Page"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's New Orleans travel pages
- Wrote a Review My daughter loved it! about Hard Rock Cafe in New Orleans Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bourbon Street! Top picks..."
Top 10 Pages
- Clarksdale Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Alexandria Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Hackensack Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Rockport Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Perry Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Deville Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Salem Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anaheim Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos