"BuickMackane's New Orleans Page" New Orleans by BuickMackane

New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,198 reviews and 7,269 photos

Our prayers to all victims of Katrina & Rita!

Wow, in light of the devastation caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, this page looks absolutely archaic. Please join me and my little girl in prayer that New Orleans can somehow be restored to its former magnificence. We are both looking forward to the day when we can return to one of our favorite places in the entire world.

Below is the text of my original page as it appeared before Katrina and Rita pretty much destroyed the city. Sorry to say that a lot of this info won't really be applicable any more. Let's keep the faith, y'all...

My daughter Nathalie and I first visited New Orleans in mid-March 2002, when we traveled down from Massachusetts to visit family members who lived in Louisiana. We became so enchanted with the place that we decided to join in the fun and move to Louisiana ourselves in August 2003. Now New Orleans is just a car ride away -- yippee! Our most recent visits were during the summer of 2005, and it was just as wonderful as ever! Glad we got to see the city before the hurricanes!

We're delighted to have this opportunity to share our adventures with you here on VT! Here's Nathalie at St. Louis Cemetery #3; you'll find she's quite an enthusiastic little tourguide. Don't miss the links below to more of our New Orleans travelogues. You gave us such wonderful feedback when this page was first created that we decided to keep adding more photos; thanks so much!

Don't miss my other Louisiana pages on VT for Alexandria, Pineville, Marksville, Deville and Sorrento, LA in addition to New Orleans.

UPDATE: Music lovers will also want to check out our recent Delta Blues adventure on my new Clarksdale, Mississippi page!

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!

Nathalie and I combed the French Quarter on our visits. We did all the mandatory tourist stuff, but nevertheless managed to look past the obvious enough to have a unique New Orleans experience tailor-made for us. Be sure to browse all five of our travelogue pages!

Mr. Hand Grenade Man!

As far as Nathalie is concerned, no visit to New Orleans is complete without a visit to her favorite Bourbon Street character. Here's a link to the livecam from www.tropicalisle.com showing the very center of the action, Bourbon Street in front of the Tropical Isle bar. Keep your eyes open for "Mr. Hand Grenade Man" and the Lucky Dog stand at night!

Tropical Isle

• Pros:There's something for everyone
  • Cons:You can't do it all in just one trip
  • In a nutshell:God bless New Orleans--we'll be back someday!
  • Last visit to New Orleans: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2005

• Mar 9, 2006 at 10:27 PM

This car is great! I saw it last year in the French Quarter. I featured it in my blog which has more photos: robinsround.blogspot.com/200...

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 9:39 AM

your daughter is really adorable. i hope things get better for LA soon.

• jazzdiva's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2005 at 9:07 PM

It looks like you and your daughter are a great travel team! Love the NOLA pictures! Happiness.....Sarah

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 3:54 PM

I'm hoping to pass through N.O. on a road trip this summer :) Thanks for the info!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2005 at 6:21 AM

Thanks for visiting my Cape May pages! We will be in New Orleans at the end of March for only 2 days so your N.O. page was really helpful!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 10:47 AM

New Orleans is my favorite city in the US. Sounds like you had a great time and it looks like your daughter had fun also.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 7:59 AM

This is a nify little page! Lots of good info. I'll get around to seeing N.O. someday. Cheers, Ed.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 2:59 PM

I've never been to the Big Easy, but it looks like such a beautiful and exotic city that I really have to go there someday.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 4:14 PM

Nice page! The restaurants sound amazing, although I think I would pass on a stay at the Clarion Hotel!

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 7:00 PM

Congratulations Natalie, I think your page is the first VT page I've ever seen that has a tip in every category. Great effort...good stuff too. Sounds like you and your daughter had a great time...except for that hotel bill :-( Tnx for the tour...Tom

BuickMackane

“Have plastic, will travel! ;-)”

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?

Latest Activity in New Orleans