São Paulo Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Elainehead Top 5 Page for this destination
São Paulo Warnings and Dangers: 44 reviews and 18 photos
Be extra vigilant when using your credit card in Brazil because card cloning is more common than you may think.
NEVER lose sight of your card during a payment transaction!!!
If you have to type your PIN code, check if there's nobody hovering over your shoulder and cover the keypad to prevent from "indiscreet eyes".
If you need to withdraw money from an ATM, choose one inside a bank (preferably with traffic - making it more difficult to bad guys install their cloning paraphernalia) during banking hours.
Always check your bank account online in order to check any unusual movement/withdraw.
A good idea is having 2 cards, one with less money and another one for emergency purposes.
Marginal Tiete during rush hour
Traffic is a real b**** here, so allow plenty of time for your trip whether you're taking the bus, taxi, subway or car. Things get worse when it rains and/or during rush hours.
Coach travel: I was on a coach and it took us one hour just to go from Tiete Bus Terminal to Dutra highway exit. A simple one-hour and half trip took almost 3 hours! Luckily we were prepared and had food and water with us, and no commitment in our destination.
Subway: We were at Liberdade station and had to wait 4 times to manage to get inside a wagon because it was so crowded! A little tip, the first wagons are usually less crowded.
Real-time traffic information (in Portuguese)
A few years ago (maybe 4 years ago), you could buy a lot of clothing and shoes without spending a lot, but since the local money Real got stronger, prices have skyrocketed. It's as expensive (sometimes even more expensive) as in Europe.
To give you an idea, T-shirts at C&A are about 15 €. Good luck finding bargains.
You won't find leather shoes under 42 € (US$ 60). Not too mention some Havaianas flip-flops prices which are outrageous.
So disappointed that I didn't buy many stuff/gifts.
There are pickpockets in Avenida Paulista and surroundings, so be attentive with your belongings. Another favorite place for pickpockets is in the centre of São Paulo (Praça da Sé and surroundings). Usually nobody helps you when someone is robbing you (if you shout for help or something). If you happen to take a bus or subway in rush hours, keep your belongings in front of you. Pickpockets do a trick when you enter a bus (they are also searching for victims in bus stops) and pretend to get on the wrong bus and suddenly decide to get off when you are entering. At this moment he/she takes the advantage to steal your wallet in your purse. If you decide to rent a car in São Paulo (air-conditioned car is better because you can keep the windows closed, also don't forget to lock the doors), be careful when you stop at traffic lights (at night is even worse that many drivers don't stop at traffic lights afraid of being robbed). Don't let bags or purses on the passenger's seat, try to hide them. If it happens that someone robs you, try to keep calm and give what the robber wants. It's advisable to keep a second wallet especially to give to robbers. If you go shopping, be attentive with your belongings, and when using credit cards keep an eye on them.
More Reviews (48)
- See All Buying your intercity/insterstate bus...
- See All Main city attractions
- See All What the hell is Nota Paulista (nota...
- See All 24-hour bakery/deli
- See All Good value w/ mixed feelings about...
Elainehead's Related Pages
São Paulo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....."
- "SÃO PAULO - SAMPA - MY BIG URBAN SHELTER"
- "Cidade da Garoa"
- "Who am I to give advice?"
- "São Paulo"
- "Gasoline fumes and roasting meat...aaahhhh!"
- "More on Sao Paulo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São Paulo
- Hotels in São Paulo
- Transportation in São Paulo
- Nightlife in São Paulo
- Restaurants in São Paulo
- Shopping in São Paulo
- Warnings and Dangers in São Paulo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bonaberi Hotels
- Torquay Hotels
- Kavacik Hotels
- Salt Cay Hotels
- Pensacola Beach
- Saint Kilda
- Krabi Warnings and Dangers
- Dubrovnik Warnings and Dangers
- West Virginia Warnings and Dangers
- Nicaragua Warnings and Dangers
- Costs & expenses
- Areas to Avoid
- Pulau Tioman Warnings and Dangers
- Coffee shops and drugs
- Izmir Warnings and Dangers
- State of Western Australia Warnings and Dangers
- Mongolia Warnings and Dangers
- Sun City Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in São Paulo
- 52 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 47 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to São Paulo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Paulo
- Posted in Travel Nice Forum "Re: Vacation at nice"
- Uploaded a Photo to ""Franz Ferdinand" &"The Horrors" free concert"
- Wrote a Review Buying your intercity/insterstate bus ticket about Bus station (Rodoviaria Tiete) in São Paulo Transportation
- updated a São Paulo Travel Page "Cidade da Garoa"
- Commented on one of Bonobo2005's São Paulo travel pages
Photos in São PauloSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 147 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 52 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Monaco Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brazil Intro, 31 reviews, 28 photos
- Cannes Intro, 20 reviews, 16 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Milan Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest São Paulo hotel reviews
- Estanplaza Paulista
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Parthenon Saint Lawrence
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Ibis Guarulhos
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Lorena Flat
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Comfort Moema
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 28, 2012
- Parthenon Sao Paulo The Town
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Sofitel Sao Paulo
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Travel Inn Morumbi-Montecatti
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2010
- Estanplaza Ibirapuera
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Melia Office Park
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Blue Tree Towers Nacoes Unidas Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Ninety HB Flat
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hilton Sao Paulo Morumbi
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Avenida Paulista- 17 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Parque Ibirapuera- 32 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Beaches- 10 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Flea markets- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Museu de Arte de São Paulo- 16 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Liberdade - Japan in São Paulo- 10 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Catedral da Sé- 10 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Business District- 7 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Museu do Ipiranga and more Museums- 15 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Edifícios- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
See All São Paulo Things to Do