"Putuoshan" Putuoshan by bellatrix
Putuoshan Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 21 photos
I spent two days on Putuoshan, one of the five sacred Buddhist centers in China. My guidebook says it's the China we see on postcards - gardens, temples, little villages with winding backstreets and tiled roofs on the houses.. The island is tiny, only a few km across, and is filled with Buddhist temples and schools and little towns in between.
I spent one day making the rounds through the temples, and my favorite by far was Fayu Si. It's built into a cliffside near the ocean, and it's a small little temple with great scenery and a great feel to it. I took a picture of a sleeping monk in the temple; caught him sleeping on the job. Haha! Not much to do I guess. :) Must be a relaxing life.
Today I'm basking in the sunshine, the first sun I've seen in days (Shanghai has been overcast, and yesterday the island was overcast and incredibly hot and humid). Today I went to a little temple perched on a rock by the sea and sat on a rock and relaxed for a while. What a nice break from the bustle of Shanghai!
- Pros:A lovely little island filled with temples.
- Cons:You might get templed out.
- In a nutshell:Great for a 2 day respite from the noise and pollution of Shanghai.
They don't have any hostels on Putuoshan (at least they didn't while I was there) so you will have to spring for a... more travel advice
At the center of the village is a square containing a large lily pond -- just off this central square is Putuoshan's... more travel advice
bellatrix's Related Pages
Putuoshan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Putuoshan
- Hotels in Putuoshan
- Transportation in Putuoshan
- Restaurants in Putuoshan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Putuoshan
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Putuoshan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Putuoshan
Photos in PutuoshanSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songpan Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- China Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree Intro, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Juneau Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos